What's going on in the ACC Garage. . . (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ACC garage, what ever happened to this FZJ55 Build ?
Customer was from Alabama at the time. He had it picked up and delivered to his town. Never told his wife what he was doing that day. Walked 3 miles from home to go meet the driver. Drove it home, parked it in the driveway and never hinted to his wife that it was home. She did know about the project, but still a funny story. He later moved to Colorado. They never got any finished shots of it - too busy wrenching to take pics I guess.

Last week, you would have thought they were a UN motor pool! 7 white cruisers in this pic.
IMG_5700.JPG

And this mean machine belongs to a friend of the garage. I think he may be sticking around for a while.
IMG_5697.JPG

IMG_5698.JPG

Re-purposed tire carrier from an FJC bolted to his GX gatedoor. It's mounted high enough to fit a 35" tire which will be soon. Custom trailer hitch and rear tire guard. The plan is to do tube fenders too. The license plate holder came off an 80 and the mini lightbar mounted to the rear spoiler is tied into the now blocked reverse lights. It just has a tint film on it to make it less conspicuous and tone down the overwhelming brightness.

IMG_6102.JPG
IMG_6103.JPG
IMG_6104.JPG
IMG_6105.JPG
IMG_6106.JPG

Re-purposed tire carrier from an FJC bolted to his GX gatedoor. It's mounted high enough to fit a 35" tire which will be soon. Custom trailer hitch and rear tire guard. The plan is to do tube fenders too. The license plate holder came off an 80

Can I get a little more info on this setup. I think Erin's GX needs to find an FJ tire carrier in its' future...

This post was linked to a discussion on GXOR - can we get more info on the GX/FJ tire carrier?

Was any bracing using inside the door?
How long has this been in use?
Any reinforcement to the hinges?

Thanks!

The owner used some scrap sheet metal and fender washers inside the door to reinforce the mounts, nothing welded though. The bolts are run through some smaller tube that serve as standoffs on the outside of the door. It's only been on the truck a couple months now. No other mods to the door or hinges.

Thanks for the response!

I've seen this discussed on the forums several times before and everyone keeps saying it's too much stress on the sheet metal and hinges. Seems the internet might be wrong!

I'm not sure how a 35" will fare over time but if it's surviving on your customer's ride, that's a good sign for my 33"!

Time to start searching for an FJ tire carrier...

@BMThiker Thanks for updating this post. I enjoy seeing the projects and rigs that ACC works on.

Thanks for the response!

I've seen this discussed on the forums several times before and everyone keeps saying it's too much stress on the sheet metal and hinges. Seems the internet might be wrong!

I'm not sure how a 35" will fare over time but if it's surviving on your customer's ride, that's a good sign for my 33"!

Time to start searching for an FJ tire carrier...
That's the shop owner's rig. I'm just a marketing guy that helps them out here and there.

The GX project was having some wheel speed sensor issues after it was lifted and got bigger tires, so he disconnected the ABS and installed an old school brake booster/master from a Tacoma. He's putting in Harrop lockers front and rear, so no ATRAC or ABS, but also no dash lights. Speedo still gets signal from the ABS computer, so he didn't ditch it completely.
APC_1079.JPG

@BMThiker how about some updates on Dugan's GX. I saw on Erin's bookface that he has a Dissent front on it and has what looks like a rotopax mounted where the rear PS window once was. Also, did he ever decide if they were going to do the rear tire carrier as a kit?

I don't have a good pic of the rotopax window insert just yet. Solar on roof, controller mounted to drawer system. Dissent bumper powder coated to match body. Smittybuilt winch with wireless controller and synth line.
IMG_8811.JPG
IMG_8812.JPG
IMG_8813.JPG
IMG_8814.JPG
IMG_8815.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom