What Would You Replace Under The Hood For Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you are in Texas and want a quality machine shop to rebuild it right call automotive machine in odessa texas. They rebuilt mine last year and did an amazing job. Probably a little more than a reman but they know what they are doing.

As far as what else to replace.
New injectors
Clips on the harness. (Most will break)
Vacuum lines under manifold
Exhaust shields
O2 sensors
Vsv
Vcv
Tcv
Fuel pressure regulator
Fuel filter
Fuel line from filter to rail. From truck to filter
Ac components and o rings if old
Ps pump if old
Starter
Alternator is easy to change so if good I would leave it
Clean the intake plenums and all passages
Clean tb
Replace phh (i would bypass the stupid pipe)
Replace the smaller coolant lines under the intake
Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, distributor o ring
Pcv, hose and grommet.
Clean up your oil cooler if the reman doesn't come with one. Replace the gaskets inside it.
Power steering and transmission cooler lines
Replace your wallet.
I think that covers most of it.

Oh I forgot if that far in pull the transmission and get it rebuilt too.

Here is the link to mine. I didn't go crazy with documentation but it has some information for you. Lots of good stuff in here. Just replace what makes you fell comfortable. We are all different. I went all out and didn't want to. In hind sight it was the best choice.

Here is the link to mine. I didn't go crazy with documentation but it has some information for you. Lots of good stuff in here. Just replace what makes you fell comfortable. We are all different. I went all out and didn't want to. In hind sight it was the best choice.

Thanks!

Great thread on your rebuild. Is there anything you would have done differently?

I want to go all out as well (at least as much as I can afford). This rig has been with me for too long and through too much to put another band aid and keep my fingers crossed that it works.

Thanks!

Great thread on your rebuild. Is there anything you would have done differently?

I want to go all out as well (at least as much as I can afford). This rig has been with me for too long and through too much to put another band aid and keep my fingers crossed that it works.
The only thing I would do differently is read up on how to replace the power steering pump gear. Mine had a tick for a bit but it went away. Some have bigger issues it ticking after replaced. I probably shouldn't have replaced the knock sensors. They are actually pretty easy to replace if the fail and my new ones were easy. I forgot to tell you to replace your harmonic balancer. That is very important. Download the fsm. It is easy to follow

Ditto: everything, particularly things that are difficult to replace
or repair with the engine installed

Replace all vacuum hoses under intake
Clean, paint/coat valve cover
Replace all seals/gaskets valve cover
Test and or replace components under intake including EGR VSV
Fuel filter
Gas filter (upper intake)
Rear heater lines
Front heater lines and PHH
Heat control valve
Rebuild or replace Starter
Rebuild or replace Alternator
Crank pulley/Harmonic balancer if original still there
Oil pump cover gasket (if not done with the rebuild)
Power steering pump rebuild or new.
Power steering hoses if original
OIl pressure sender (test)
Transmission cooler hoses if original (NLA, need to use aftermarket)
Distributor O ring (or new Distributor)
Motor and transmission mounts.
Timing chain tensioner
Fan blades
Water pump
Fan Clutch
Alternator belt idler pulley
AC tensioner pulley
Front transmission seal
Throttle cable
Radiator and all hoses
Thermostat
All gaskets not replaced during rebuild

Rebuild or replace Vapor canister and associated hoses

Clean Throttle body completely
Clean or replace Fuel Injectors
Clean or replace EGR valve

Repaint anything that was original painted

Remove, derust, and paint/coat (4) radiator brackets

Replace radiator rubber cushions/isolators

Replace any rusty/corroded bolts/fasteners

Derust and repaint any areas visible with the engine out.

Inspect, rewrap main engine harness or replace.

Easier to just say, Everything
On the list of "everything" to replace, you put fan blades. Do they wear out over time? Do you mean just replacing with OEM fan blade?

Was looking at the clearance between the shroud and the fan, and there is a full inch of radius, so is there an upgraded fan blade that I could pop onto my blue modded clutch that is either more radius or steeper angle of attack on the blades, either/or resulting in more airflow?

Thanks in advance for the help, as a search of Mud wasn't leading anywhere till I found your list.

^^^ Fan itself can easily be brittlized, it is ~25 yrs old & if you toss a blade, no bueno.

Heater valve, fan & clutch, all coolant hoses (really anything that that touches coolant) - that’s my initial.

Motor mounts also.

In all seriousness, almost all but the air filter can & the underhood fuseblock are suspect to me.

It all depends on your budget, desired level of longevity with total reliability, future plans (turbo, S/C?) - but anything rubber, do it.

And if you have the $450+ for a fresh engine harness, a new one with extra wrapping to protect it is smart $$ if in budget.
If not, inspect & rework yours since its been fiddled with over the past motor pull/replace.

I picked up a new Denso fan from Rock Auto believe it or not...

PXL_20210501_171529475.jpg

Jason

One piece of advice I would give after going through it, is depending on your budget and how "right" you want to do it, remember new fasteners and clips are mostly all still available from Toyota. It didn't take me long to realize cleaning up greasy and /or rusty fasteners and brittle / broken clips wasn't worth my time and was taking too much fun out of the process. Of course I have to admit I'm now probably in for hundreds of dollars in Toyota hardware.

Jason

Have two knock sensors at the ready. Once you twist them off, one of them is bound to throw a code after install.

I basically replaced or rebuilt everything under the hood…replaced the main harness and eliminated the egr…anything rubber for replaced Onur can attest to my spending spree…that said it turned out great and super reliable and i would hesitate to drive it any where in any weather at any time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom