What to look for when buying 1st gen Tundra (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all. Starting to kick around the idea of buying a 1st gen tundra and was curious if there is a Newbie buyers guide somewhere like Slee has for the 80 and 100 series. Things I know of are...

Frame rust and frames that have been replaced. I am skeptical of a truck with a replaced frame as I have heard stories of opening a can of worms here. Anyone know if there was ever a buyback program on Tundras like on 96-00 Tacomas?

Rear axle rust seems to be a problem as well

I would check all body panels for vin numbers as well as maintenance records also sun roof drains if applicable for clogging.

I was told when I replaced my windshield on my 100 that leaky windshields and rust exist on tundras as well from an improperly replaced windshield.

I would also need a master key. Does anyone know if 1st gen tundras have the broken tumbler issue or imobilizer problems as seen I'm some 100's?

Can anyone school me on this air pump failure or block off?

I assume the 4.7 is basically the same as the 100 but am curious what this "I-Force" means.

Going to check out tundrasolutions website as well for any info.

Thanks for any help

Last edited:
I can't speak about rust issues, Texas tundras don't seem to have those issues.

I don't believe the first gen Tundra had immobilizers, definitely not the early ones like 99-2002 area.

Air pump issues were also only on the later versions 02-03 and up....some where in there. Same as 100s. Big PITA and expensive if completely replaced (2-3k) if I remember correctly. But with some searching you will find a bypass kit someone sells for a hundred or so and it works well.

Other than that, the driveshaft clunk is annoying and prevalent.

Front calipers had an updated part to fix...something, can't remember exactly...maybe a pulsation issue....it escapes me at the moment.

Ask about service records for the tbelt of course.

Pretty good trucks, miss mine

i-FORCE is just marketing.
It is the name given to the Toyota Tundra's powerful V8 engine line. This engine uses VVT-i, which stands for “Variable Valve Timing with intelligence” for improved fuel economy. it includes the 4.6, 4.7, 5.7. even the early v-8 tundras without the "badge" are still "I-force"

tundratalk.net is also a pretty active forum

Last edited:
My '01 was bought new, now has 347k and yes it runs like new. I am going to spray paint my wheels to get them looking better. One thing to look for is if the front brake factory update was performed. Sadly mine was not, my brothers 2000 got it and a huge difference. The dealer I bought mine from was sold to an existing dealer and I never received the recall notice. Awesome truck, best vehicle I have ever owned. Find out if brake recall was performed. My $.02

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom