What to do, what to do.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know this may be crazy, but has anyone used 3.73 gears with a three speed transmission?

I have been tossing the idea around since the truck will be 95% on road with occasional easy/moderate off road. By no means will there be any rock crawling as that is what my 40 has been built for.

I know this will make my low range even worse so I'm thinking of going big and getting an ORION (looks like some overtime in my future). I did some calculations of gear ratios and found that my 40 in low range 4th gear is 11.22 and that the 1st gear high range will be 10.25 with the three speed. I was able to start ok, but not a quick as I'm used to.

Has anyone done this and what did you think?
and
Anyone that has a three speed with 28-29 inch tires how does it do city driving and highway with 4.11's or 3.73's?

Last edited:
A bit of progress...

Frame wire wheeled, degreased and painted.
fj45 frame2.jpg
fj45 frame.jpg

Looks great!

I know this may be crazy, but has anyone used 3.73 gears with a three speed transmission?
The 3.7's should be stock with your three speed. I have them in my 1970 FJ45 behind a 253 cui Holden GM V8, which is a lot revvier than your 283 and it drives fine. Ain't been on the trail yet, but the 8 has 20% more power than the F although slightly less torque. But only a little. I'd say run it for the moment.

33's on 4.11's will probably be like 30's on 3.73's, 33's on 3.73's would probably be like 35's on 4.11's and on the trail low isn't that low so it might be too fast.. It will be fine at cruising speed on the roads, well, once you get to cruising speed ;).

I hope after this weekend I will have some updates. It's been a busy month with little time for the 45.

I think I remember reading somewhere that the rear PTO output was used for pumps on the fire truck models. I'm trying to think of something cool to do with mine. maybe somehow make it for an air compressor or a blender! That would be fun

looking great!
Keep the pics coming!

Great find, subscribed!

disc brakes fj45.jpg
A tad more progress...
Decided to go for some stopping power! This little guy will have disc's all around. I had upgraded to these on the 40 and absolutely love knowing I can stop with just one push of the pedal. For some reason people pull out in front of the 40 all the time....
The rear axle has new bearings all around, seals and a fresh paint job. Ready to roll!

Also was able to get the intake and exhaust bolted on after some "modification" to the headers to fit the PTO shaft.
The engine is almost ready to be test run. Radiator has been pressure checked, hoses connected, starter bolted on, timing set, points gap corrected, and new set of plugs/wires.
I still need to:
-check if alternator is good
-add temporary heater line loop
-double check carb linkages
-add exhaust (purely for noise concerns)
-fluids and I'm sure a few other odds and ends

fj45 engine.jpg

Sorry for the sub par photos. I'm not impressed with the Samsung's camera. I'll start using the good old digital camera from now on.

I now have a July 14th deadline to finish. If I can get it done I'm going to use it my wedding!
Since the last post I have sandblasted all the body with just a few small parts remaining. This was one of the most time consuming activities I have ever dealt with while working on a vehicle. Very, very glad I did it though. I think it came out great.
I found a bit of bondo hidden under the multiple layers of paint and blasted through a few spots in the bed, gas tank and where the removable top and cab come together. All in all very pleased with how few spots blasted holes and how solid the majority of the truck is.
I have patched and welded the gas tank and next i'll start working on the underside bracket in the bed.

Also have the seats taken apart, repainted and ready for new foam and some Coral covers.
IMG_1826.JPG
IMG_1827.JPG
IMG_1830.JPG
IMG_1829.JPG
IMG_1834.JPG

Beautiful! Git'er dun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom