What tires should I get? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm the proud new owner of a completely stock 1987 4x4 PU with bald tires. What tires should I get? I'm looking for something that I can accassionally use off-road and looks agressive bit is quiet and smooth on the road. This is my daily driver. Any ideas? Sizes? I may be putting a slight lift and Bushwacker fender flares soon. Thanks

What are teh plans for teh truck? Lift? Wheels? Location or type of wheelin terrain?

If you're not looking for anything too crazy. BFG A/T 31x10.5 Mine are totally quiet on the road and work really well off road. Plus they last forever. But I am not a Crawler so I don't know how they would do in that situation.

if your going to go with bfg's make sure you get the new ones that are NOT radial. radial tires have an inherent weekness in the sidewall due to the belts being run parrelell to eachother. Also with a stock truck you can fit 32's easy (they are really 31 1/2)

I've always had a thing for 44's.......

toyota-4runner-44-inch-tires.jpg

Yeah..... 31's are good for a weekend wheeler.........

If you're not looking for anything too crazy. BFG A/T 31x10.5 Mine are totally quiet on the road and work really well off road. Plus they last forever. But I am not a Crawler so I don't know how they would do in that situation.

IF it's a carbie

those bad boy's will kill that little 22

Been there, it aint fun

Floooored at 65-70

235/75x15's shameless plug

Mod then tires, not tires then mod. Becouse you have'nt spec'ed it yet.

Driveabuility and good MPG:) huray!

P.S. BFG's weigh a ton G*R*E*A*T tire but weigh a ton, heavy

and get some lumi's.....................aluminum wheels ;)

Last edited:
I'm looking for something that I can accassionally use off-road and looks agressive bit is quiet and smooth on the road. This is my daily driver.

you (if you learn) can go places with little tire's most people with, open differential, big tire's can't.

Forget the lift and HUGE tire's on stock axles.

Get traction first.

Contrary to popular beliefe a Detroit TrueTrac is not a krapy clutch plate ltd slip
(for the front) it is an all gear, torque biasing set up that alot of people confuse with the clutch ones becouse it is classified as a limited slip and no one here (only hard core rock crawlers here) likes it becouse it doesent say locker on the box.

and a powerTrax is cheap and cool (for the rear)
**save your money up get a TRD V6 diff and ask Downey how to lock it.*****

Any thing else some one tell's you, you might as well weld both.

OK you asked for it.................

Get you some 4:37's or 4:56's or heak if you don't mind it 4:88's

Run a AT 31" B.F.G for DD rutine

Get some extra wheels with 33" MT's or what ever will fit for off-road.

You'r basicly full spooled with the locker set up and still drivable

Last edited:
Grock, I'll put in another vote for BFG AT KO's, in whatever size you prefer. I've had several sets, including the 33x10.50's I own now for street/winter duty. Quiet on the road, they last a long time, excellent in the snow, and they won't embarrass you off-road. Price isn't bad either, if you check places like Costco, Sam's Club, etc.

Another option is the Goodyear MT/R, but they are a lot more money. It might be worth checking the local Want Ads, see if you can get a set of take-off's from a Rubicon.

You'll have no trouble getting 31x10.50's to fit, even a 32x11.50 might be OK but you will probably have trouble finding a place that will mount a tire that wide on your stock rims, even if you have the 15x7 SR5 alloy wheels.

tntoyota, you really shouldn't be drunk-posting drivel like that. Somebody that doesn't know better might actually take you seriously.

Tall, round. black ones are the best :D

IMHO, the Nitto Terra Grappler is a far better dd tire than the BFG AT. Balances easily, very resistant to hydroplaning, good in snow and ice, plus they're cheaper than the BFG.

BTW, the tire is much more aggressive than it appears in the ads.

I wouldn't go any bigger than a 31" for a dd, unless you plan to regear. I ran 33s for a while on my 83 and 5th gear was useless and gas mileage sucked.

IMHO, the Nitto Terra Grappler is a far better dd tire than the BFG AT. Balances easily, very resistant to hydroplaning, good in snow and ice, plus they're cheaper than the BFG.

Interesting. My son needs new tires now, his AT's are bald. I'll mention these to him.

I wouldn't go any bigger than a 31" for a dd, unless you plan to regear. I ran 33s for a while on my 83 and 5th gear was useless and gas mileage sucked.

Ya, people say "oh I run 35's on stock gears, it's no problem", but I have to agree with you. I ran my 33's for 2 years on 4.10s and it really wasn't a good thing. Besides the loss of 5th gear, it's much harder on your clutch when taking off.

tntoyota, you really shouldn't be drunk-posting drivel like that. Somebody that doesn't know better might actually take you seriously.

Drunk post this,
sawzall the fenders crank the Tbars all the way and put 44's
on the stock 50 horse motor and DT

Do it it's popular

I have a 89 hilux and went with the kumho mt in 32 11.50 rub in hard turs lightly in sway bar but on road are so quiet and wear and balance very well. off road these tires kickass and sling dirt

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll let you know what I end up with.

Not that this has anything to do with you or your decision but...................

My first Toyota had street tread 235/75x15's on it.

I got almost 100miles per mark (4/4, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4, I did) so I thought 400mi exactaly per tank of fuel.

91 Reg. cab 4x4, 5sp, 22r/EFI 180+k.....................

Time came I went to 30" BFG's (from 28"s) becouse I was driving 150mi. M/F and another 300mi weekends. 1,050mi a week total.

Forgot the exact usage per mark, but I wound up loosing exactaly 100mi per tank of fuel overall, and becouse I had steel wheel's I immidietly felt the diference in power.

400mi a tank with 235 (28) streat tread's
300mi a tank with 30" BFG's

Just so were clear BFG's are an excelent tire, heavey, heavey duty, great tread,
3ply, NOT 2ply, 3ply side wall.

INOHIO, the 2" (28" to 31") of over all lift are not worth the stress on the DT, IF they can run the Paris to Dakar, Camel trophies, etc, on those little dough nutz they call tires I dont think the "Tires" got them there....................

The traction did.......ltd. slip........locking axles.........and some Bad ask drivin skills!

I think 235"s are more like 28.5's or 29's cant find the formula ritght off.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom