What should stock suspension look like on a 94 FZJ80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I get people all the time asking me what loft I have on my FJ, but for all I know it is stock still. I have looked at the suspension and it honestly does not look 23 years old, however, I am not entirely sure what I am looking for.

What is the stock color of the shock absorbers on a 94? How do I tell if my lift is completely stock? I have not seen any aftermarket writing on anything underneath.

Pic is attached for reference. I am running 33s.

Snapchat-1992929475.jpg

stock shock color on your 80 should be black; yellow white and gold are common aftermarket colors but not
guaranteed

coil springs may have a plastic sticker wrapped around a coil which used to have a spring designation on it.... have seen 10 year old springs with the label left in place although print was illegible

maybe a picture of the shock/spring would be more helpful; if you cant tell in person it will be hard for us to guess from the office chair but it does look to have a small lift or fresh stock height springs on it. see any spacers on top of coil spring?

stock shock color on your 80 should be black; yellow white and gold are common aftermarket colors but not
guaranteed

coil springs may have a plastic sticker wrapped around a coil which used to have a spring designation on it.... have seen 10 year old springs with the label left in place although print was illegible

maybe a picture of the shock/spring would be more helpful; if you cant tell in person it will be hard for us to guess from the office chair but it does look to have a small lift or fresh stock height springs on it. see any spacers on top of coil spring?

The shocks look like a greyish/blue. I don't remember seeing any spacers but I will crawl under there today and check then post some pictures.

33's, no running boards, and aftermarket bumper with more clearance; probably just an illusion of a lift.

I thought that too with the bumper but I just put it on yesterday. I had people asking about the lift with the stock one on.

Looks pretty much identical to my stock 97 with 285s mounted. Good looking 80!

Here's my '97 with 33s before I lifted it, taken from almost the same angle as yours...

LX_new_wheels2.jpg

Original shocks will say Toyota on them

That's looks about 21" hub the flare. Maybe 861/862 coils? 33s and offset rims add to the lifted look.

Correct, edge of the flare.

That's looks about 21" hub the flare. Maybe 861/862 coils? 33s and offset rims add to the lifted look.

Just measured it, the front is just over 20in, the rear is approximately 22in. That just threw me off more lol

I plan on getting an OME 3in anyway, but if it was already lifted I wanted to know how much more to expect.

Just for comparison my '94 with stock suspension measures 19" from hub centre to flare bottom. I have an Arb, winch and dual batteries on the pointy end and a 4x4labs dual swing and fully loaded KISS drawer on the back end.

Stock 1996 but with bumper winch combo. Measurements are from garage floor to flare.

IMG_0870.JPG

IMG_0871.JPG

IMG_0872.JPG

IMG_0873.JPG

I can't provide photos of my '94 (it's visiting Tuscaloosa, AL for the next four years), but I drove it this weekend (visitation rights, 'natch) and it is stock. Dead level and looks like @IronCladLou and @meangreen. HTH

Looks good though.

also look on the springs and see if you can find yellow or pink dab of paint . stocker springs have these paint marks, or at least mine do and I have heard others mention having paint markings on the springs from factory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom