what should be my next upgrade? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have been contemplating EPS for myself. Looks like both Hank Tank and abqcruiser have been successful. Is there a thread for 55's on this subject? Should one get stated? Nice about this setup is not having to alter anything under the hood. You can save the original column and return the car to original condition in a heart beat if so desired.
Important question on this subject: does it fail during rough trail rides???

Empowersteering.com has what looks like a nice DIY package for around $600.

Camelback Toyota did the install. The unit came from Welcome to ePowerSteering.com
Unit cost $625 and the install was another $625. I just picked it up this week so I can't vouch for any intermediate off road trails just yet, but like I said before I'm running stock wheels and 31" BFG s. With my set up, I'm only driving around town with medium power (it's an adjustable system with a little dial). Supposedly the manufacturer started with a focus on sand rails so it's designed to be pretty tough, but we'll see. I decided to go with it for all of the reasons @Gordobe said.

I'm sure the guys at Camelback Toyota have pics of the process. They are now authorized/preferred installers for the manufacturer. @murf at Camelback Toyota may be able to share more specifically how the install process works.

So far, it's amazing.

I fabbed my own , so it looks a bit different. If someone is making a DIY kit for the pigs it would take a lot of the guess work out of it.

Here's mine:

You have Cup Holder! Wonder what max tire size, would it turn 37s?

img_0001-jpg.1230827

I have been contemplating EPS for myself. Looks like both Hank Tank and abqcruiser have been successful. Is there a thread for 55's on this subject? Should one get stated? Nice about this setup is not having to alter anything under the hood. You can save the original column and return the car to original condition in a heart beat if so desired.
Important question on this subject: does it fail during rough trail rides???

I started this thread a while ago, so maybe everyone who does this mod can add info here:

Electric power steering for your pig

I have 33"s on mine and wheeled it in Colorado on some trails around where the Pig Party is being held. The trail down Scotch Creek was the roughest that we drove on. Not real heavy wheeling but, I'm confident it could handle more. I have the setting on mine nearly turned all the way down.

Do you guys think the limiting factor on tire size and heavy turning forces on obstacles might be the factory steering box, mounting location and linkage associated with the stock 55.

With conventional power steering upgrade for heavy use all those parts are replaced with heaver parts as well and some sort of frame stiffing to deal with the higher loads applied with large tires turning on large rocky terrain.

that center arm doesn't like big tires....it's a pretty short arm that drives the fulcrum, too. it's fine for up to about 33s and no PS, but beyond that much, and I wouldn't hold my breath

that center arm doesn't like big tires....it's a pretty short arm that drives the fulcrum, too. it's fine for up to about 33s and no PS, but beyond that much, and I wouldn't hold my breath

Agreed. That's where I see the weak link to the stock set up. It takes all the abuse on the trail. As far as I can tell, that's the reason for a good part of the play in the steering as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom