What scanner for 2006 Landcruiser Sahara turbodiesel with AHC?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I would like to check front and rear AHC pressures with a scanner and without the complications of attaching pressure gauges anywhere.

First, I need to discover whether my Australia-delivered June 2006 Landcruiser 100 Sahara (similar to VX) with 1HD-FTE six cylinder 4.2 litre turbodiesel and with AHC has, M-OBD, or, OBD2, or, some other Toyota system?

The 1HD-FTE turbodiesel engine is common in Australia and maybe South Africa but unusual in North America and Europe. AHC only appeared on Australian-delivered Landcruiser Sahara in 2006, although AHC was present in prior yearson the up-market LX470 (petrol V8 only).

Second, I need to discover a scanner that actually work on this particular Landcruiser model?

Any help or advice on both above questions would be greatly appreciated …..

I scouted around for both MOBD and OBD2 on LCOOL and IH8MUD and I did find a few leads. The FSM for the IHD-FTE turbodiesel engine which I found on LCOOL suggests that this engine ECU complies with ISO 14230 and the DLC3 connector (next to the brake pedal) also complies with SAE J1962. Chasing that down led me to the OBD Innovations site where I learnt that:

ADR 79/01 and 79/02 (Australian OBD standard)

The ADR 79/01 (vehicle standard (Australian Design Rule 79/01 – Emission Control for Light Vehicles) 2005) standard is the Australian equivalent of OBD-II. It applies to all vehicles of category M1 and N1 with a gross Vehicle Weight rating of 3500 kg or less, registered from new within Australia and produced since January 1, 2006 for gasoline engine cars and since January 1, 2007 for diesel engine cars. For newly introduced models, the regulation dates applied a year earlier - January 1, 2005 for petrol and January 1, 2006 for diesel. The ADR 79/01 standard was supplemented by the ADR 79/02 standard which imposed tighter emissions restrictions, applicable to all vehicles of class M1 and N1 with a gross vehicle weight rating of 3500 kg or less, from July 1, 2008 for new models, July 1, 2010 for all models. The technical implementation of this standard is essentially the same as OBD-II, with the same SAE J1962 diagnostic link connector and signal protocols being used. [END OF QUOTE]

On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) Background History : OBD Innovations

So I suspect that my June 2006 1HD-FTE turbodiesel is MOBD rather than OBD2!

The products I see on the web note compliance with later standards and reference OBD2. Nevertheless, some look prospective and in the absence of better information, I bought one to see if it works.

My first objective is not so much the engine itself but to find my way to the Active Height Control (AHC) system so as to check the system hydraulic pressures front and rear.

For Australian deliveries, Toyota 'borrowed' the AHC set-up from the Lexus LX470 (V8 petrol) and used it in this final model of the 100 series (called Sahara in Australia), in both petrol V8 and turbodiesel versions, before the 200 series was released late 2006 or early 2007.

The link immediately below provided good simple step-by-step instructions for my newly acquired Techstream V13.00.022 and Mini VCI with firmware versions 1.4.1. It explains how to manually load the drivers and make the necessary registry changes on a 64bit device. It does advise that the Mini VCI firmware update tool does not work with Windows 10. However, the recommendation is to use this tool ONLY to check the Mini VCI and NOT to update it, so this feature is not an essential part of the installation – but see further below.

V13.00.022 Software Install Guide : OBD Innovations

All instructions in the printable Guide at the above link were carefully followed – and then uninstalled and reinstalled a second time to ensure no mistakes were made. Unsuccessful both times.

Subsequently, the next link was used. It is dated 2014, and cross-references to this link are seen in many other forums. The detail is quite lucid although it refers to an earlier Techstream version V8.10.021. There is good explanation of how to unpack “MVCI Driver for TOYOTA.msi” and manually select and load the required drivers and registry changes as required for a 64bit device. NOTE: During this process, Norton/Symantec gave a BIG RED WARNING identifying two threats – a heuristic virus and a trojan – associated with the Mini VCI Firmware Update Tool which Norton promptly quarantined and removed. As the Update Tool is not required (although it may have been a useful check), no attempt was made to use it.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73034

Except as noted, all instructions in the above link were carefully followed. Unsuccessful.

During each attempt, manual checks were made at C:\Program Files (x86)\Toyota Diagnostics\Techstream and subfiles, and also at C:\Program Files (x86)\XHorse Electronics\MVCI Driver for TOYOTA TIS and subfiles, and also at the registry entries, to view and test that requirements were in place and working.

Conclusion: There is a problem with using Mini VCI on Windows 10 (in 64bit form), or with the Mini VCI itself -- or with the I.T. competence of this operator!

Back to the drawingboard ……

Techstream unable to connect to VIM.JPG

I scouted around for both MOBD and OBD2 on LCOOL and IH8MUD and I did find a few leads. The FSM for the IHD-FTE turbodiesel engine which I found on LCOOL suggests that this engine ECU complies with ISO 14230 and the DLC3 connector (next to the brake pedal) also complies with SAE J1962. Chasing that down led me to the OBD Innovations site where I learnt that:

View attachment 1906419

Did you change the settings to use xhorse mvci?

Thank you Mauser. Yes -- see bottom line in picture -- "VIM - XHorse - MVCI" ....

Thank you again. The link provided leads to a helpful thread. My current Microsoft Surface laptop is up to date with Win10 x64bit and Java -- but I suspect that it is all too modern! My efforts at x64bit workarounds on Win10 have not succeeded, so either I have made and repeated some mistakes or there is an incompatibility somewhere. Somehow I missed the thread initiated by getco on use of VirtualBox. This will be my next move rather than try to dig up an old Win7 or WinXp x32bit laptop –

How-To: TechStream In 5 Minutes

I used the Windows XP vm from the How-To: TechStream In 5 Minutes thread and it worked. But the preinstalled Techstream is unlocked only for North America, so no 1HD-FTE engine option.
I used TS_loader to quickly unlock it for Europe.
Connected to an European 2005 1HD-FTE (that engine is actually very popular in Europe, even more so than the petrol) - managed to connect with no issuex and full access using this cable - US $12.83 5% OFF|V13.00.022 FT232RL Green PCB MINI VCI J2534 Interface OBD2 Vehicle Diagnosis MINI VCI For TOYOTA TIS Advanced Diagnosis-in Car Diagnostic Cables & Connectors from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Shipped with firmware 1.4.1

I persevered with the direct Win10 x64bit effort and applied information from a very detailed thread from LCOOL in Australia:

LCOOL.org :: Log in

This seemed to work -- I can now connect to Techstream, the car and the computer and open Techstream pages BUT there is NO information showing in the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's), nor the Data Lists and the "Monitor" button is greyed out and does not work. I will attach what I can see -- comments and insights are most welcome .....

Techstream Pic1 18FEB19.JPG

Techstream Pic2 18FEB19.JPG

Techstream Pic3 18FEB19.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom