What options are there for 24 Volt, Tail and Brake light combo, but LED (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rusto

SILVER Star
Threads
Just purchased a BJ40 originally from Costa Rica, and it's all 24 volt. PO was having "electrical issues" with tail lights. come to find out that he was using 12 volt bulbs. I'm hoping that's the only issue.

Since all bulbs in the tail lights need to be replaced, I was thinking of switching to LED. The blinker and back up lights are easy, as they are just one 'filament' bulbs. But what about the tail light and brake light, which with incandescent bulbs have two filaments. How do LEDs handle the two different "brightness" levels? And are their any suggestions for LED bulbs that can do this?

This BJ has me in all forums.. 40 & 55 tech, Diesel Tech, Lighting... I love it.

Thanks

Watching this one closely also. Thanks for posting!

Hi Rusto, I've seen both types of LED bulbs, blinker and reverse lights with a single contact and also a 2-contact bulb for tail/brake light, in the ones I installed, the tail light switch only turns on some LED rows on the bulb and once you brake, the whole bulb turns on (increasing the light output). Wouldn't sound crazy if there are alternatives with built-in dimmers though.

I ended up having to use two filament traditional bulbs for brake and taillight

Apparently there are two types of 24v LED bulbs that work for the dual purpose, one more common than the other. The more common one didn't work, and nobody could find the less common one.

However, all lights are now working and thats really what I was after.

Blinkers and running lights all work on LED with right flash speed. Had to get a different switch that was recognize the low wattage LED to keep hyperflash from occurring.

Reverses is also LED.

Only brakes and taillights are regular bulbs. That and new halogen semi-sealed bulbs for headlights all for less than a $100.

I'll take it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom