What it takes to kill a JK (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, as suggested by the title here is a full epilogue of the death of my JK
IMG_20170611_125415210_HDR.jpg

Last monday me and my partner left bozeman to head to my parents place in Billings for thanksgiving. The wind a blowing and rain coming down the jeep as usual summits the pass at a steady speed.. 45mph.. after getting to livingston i finally got the wind behind the jeep so then would love to go 80.. Right after passing through exit 340(white sulfur springs exit) a man on the other side of the interstate was texting and driving and did not notice that he was quickly approaching a slowing truck pulling a trailer getting off at the exit. he saw it at the second yanking the wheel to the left, the front of the Subaru scrapped by the trailer then nearly ran into another car in the passing lane, then whisked his way through the median. i had seen the Subaru before it even had hit the truck i knew that he was gonna hit something. As soon as he crossed the median i already had slowed to about 60. judging by its speed through the median, to avoid it i steered the jeep the where the car wouldn't be by the time i got there. at the last second though the subaru had dug its way into the lose dirt causing it to slow as it came up my side of the median. to late to do anything we collided, the airbags did not go off because Jeep.. i am thankful that they did not. After the subaru hit the jeep went up onto the passenger side wheels and kept going it was trying to roll over towards the ditch. i yanked the steering wheel the other way breaking the tie rod of the already bent of steering box setting the jeep back down and skidding to a halt.
IMG_20171120_143537154.jpg

i hit the subaru hard enough to rip the back end apart. The ARB bull bar took the hit pretty well if i hadn't of had all that heavy metal the crash would have been worse. the back of the car did hit the top of the windshield on the jeep moving and fracturing the front pillar. the front axle bent pretty good and pushed up into engine(oilpan etc..) knocking a hole in block draining everything. this also broke everything of there mounts (transmission engine) broke lines, and twisted frame and body.
IMG_20171120_143533777_TOP.jpg

i firmly believe that it is totaled but insurance hasn't confirmed yet, they think because the airbags didn't go off that it is reparable (Righto_O)
Tuesday morning sore and bruised my family and i headed back up to Livingston to get some stuff out of the jeep. lone behold we would be taking the dual battery pack and wiring, vilair pump and tank, the rear bumper, spare tire, rocksiders and radio.
IMG_20171121_141039266_HDR.jpg

At this point i am going to be on the search for a new vehicle,it is going to be a landcruiser, it is going to also be diesel, i do not know what series yet though(80,70,60,40). :cheers:

-jon

That’s a real bummer man. It’s good to see you all survived.Hopefully insurance will not be a huge hassle.

View attachment 1582438

Last monday me and my partner left bozeman to head to my parents place in Billings for thanksgiving. The wind a blowing and rain coming down the jeep as usual summits the pass at a steady speed.. 45mph.. after getting to livingston i finally got the wind behind the jeep so then would love to go 80.. Right after passing through exit 340(white sulfur springs exit) a man on the other side of the interstate was texting and driving and did not notice that he was quickly approaching a slowing truck pulling a trailer getting off at the exit. he saw it at the second yanking the wheel to the left, the front of the Subaru scrapped by the trailer then nearly ran into another car in the passing lane, then whisked his way through the median. i had seen the Subaru before it even had hit the truck i knew that he was gonna hit something. As soon as he crossed the median i already had slowed to about 60. judging by its speed through the median, to avoid it i steered the jeep the where the car wouldn't be by the time i got there. at the last second though the subaru had dug its way into the lose dirt causing it to slow as it came up my side of the median. to late to do anything we collided, the airbags did not go off because Jeep.. i am thankful that they did not. After the subaru hit the jeep went up onto the passenger side wheels and kept going it was trying to roll over towards the ditch. i yanked the steering wheel the other way breaking the tie rod of the already bent of steering box setting the jeep back down and skidding to a halt.
View attachment 1582445
i hit the subaru hard enough to rip the back end apart. The ARB bull bar took the hit pretty well if i hadn't of had all that heavy metal the crash would have been worse. the back of the car did hit the top of the windshield on the jeep moving and fracturing the front pillar. the front axle bent pretty good and pushed up into engine(oilpan etc..) knocking a hole in block draining everything. this also broke everything of there mounts (transmission engine) broke lines, and twisted frame and body.
View attachment 1582451

i firmly believe that it is totaled but insurance hasn't confirmed yet, they think because the airbags didn't go off that it is reparable (Righto_O)
Tuesday morning sore and bruised my family and i headed back up to Livingston to get some stuff out of the jeep. lone behold we would be taking the dual battery pack and wiring, vilair pump and tank, the rear bumper, spare tire, rocksiders and radio.
View attachment 1582462

At this point i am going to be on the search for a new vehicle,it is going to be a landcruiser, it is going to also be diesel, i do not know what series yet though(80,70,60,40). :cheers:

-jon
We talked already but glad youre ok you and your girlfriend are ok! I'm fairly certain they'll total it out. How you get that back to be straight and drive able again I don't know. If you're looking for a highway/mild wheeler and are wanting a cruiser then a 80 or 100 series would fit the bill pretty well.

You are one lucky man! I would be getting ahold of mister Bowser and seeing what he has available. That arb absorbed a tremendous amt of energy to bend it like that. The Lord was definitely watching over you guys that day.

Hate to be an Arb spokesperson but ill never buy anything else for front protection after this. I am glad that it went this way could have been worse. @BUGMAN2 hopefully they don't the guy had the same insurance company as me, State farm but judging from what ive heard around it is gonna be a hassle to get the jeeps full value.
@JohnnyOshow22 still deciding on what I need haha.
@elkun1 very lucky, I will have to! I was surprised it did bend that much too I hit it pretty hard though.

View attachment 1582438

View attachment 1582445
View attachment 1582451

View attachment 1582462

-jon
Looks like on Craig’s list in Missoula area there Is an older 1992 Land Cruiser right hand drive diesel for sale for $10,000

Glad you all got out ok, looks bad.

Way to stay alert. Way to stay alive. Good job.

New Craigslist ad: jeep for sale minor damage needs some work... As is, obo.

My goodness! Good looking Jeep... or it was.

I'm glad you both survived essentially unscathed. I can't imagine how scary that was.

And yes, thank God that ARB bull bar was there. From the looks of things it prevented considerably more incursion into your Jeep.

Wow! Glad you were able to walk away from that! Hope the insurance process is moving along, probably at a snail's pace...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom