what is this noise? ideo / audio of my engine this morning, not quite purring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hamishpotter

SILVER Star
Threads
Apologies I've been really busy lately and have not had time to really dig into this. Since temps dropped below freezing last night I started my 80 a few minutes early and came back in for a coffee. Came out and heard a slightly uneven chatter from the engine. My first hunch is a not quite aligned radiator fan, but can't be sure so thought I would trouble 'Mud for an opinion. Thanks in advance to anyone who can identify..

edit: enjoying my seat covers thanks to @FloridaFJ80 / Land Cruiser Heaven

Check your fan, fan shroud, belts.. Might wanna have a video of the hood opened to see as well.

thanks Frank. Yeah I was in a rush to work - not that that takes any time, but..

My friends all make fun of me when I say but "put some grease on it" something somewhere under that hood...

Sent from my iPad

thanks @PZLCruiser ! won't make fun of that. is there a magical grease I can spray in the general direction of belts / fan?

yeah I'm also getting a bit of a groan from the PS occasionally, more so on cold mornings. going to do some searching on the PS threads

The shaft starts to wear out so it doesn't run true causing the vanes to lift off their track then they slam down and bounce causing the rattling sound. At least that is what I think happens. Have you changed or tightened the belt recently? A too tight belt will kill the ps pump real quick as it doesn't use ball or roller bearings just the shaft through a bushing, at least that's how mine was.

Thank you @SalishSea, I haven't tighten the belt recently, I'll check on that too (I just picked up one of those green tension measurement tools)

Your PS pump is gear driven, not belt driven.

I was subconsciously attempting to respond to two posts. I think

Thank you for the correction @JeepinPete, I need to spend some time under the hood next weekend

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom