What is this? Motorola Treasure ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gordista

Me and the Clan in 'Yota Landcruisers out there
SILVER Star
Threads
Crawling around under dash and steering column trying to make sense of all sorts of wiring -that has me flabbergasted - and found a black box - zip tied - I think it’s a Motorola? I think it has a “household” type cord.
What is this??
Part of a CB Radio?

19D3EF3B-8E57-4F1C-BC13-ECA2FDC5731A.jpeg

522212FD-FC17-4F53-AA96-4433AF28C0DB.jpeg

The wire with the cylindrical threaded plug end is coaxial wire. Probably went to antenna. Wiggle it and look for the other end coming out under the carpet under the dash. You will probably have to remove the kick panels. They are plastic side panels forward of the front doors under the dash. Just a couple screws and they should pull out. Once removed you might see more wiring that runs under the carpet. Also look for non stock wiring coming out of the holes on either side of the firewall. Up fairly high on the firewall you will see stock wiring harness going thru a boot that covers this large hole and the harness continues under the dash on either side. Any wires that are not in the stock harness (should be wrapped) are most likely powering aftermarket accessories.

Another popular place for aftermarket wiring to run is under the scuff plates. These are the plastic pieces at the footwell of the door. Just remove the 6 or so philip head screws and pull up. There are stock wires under there so don't mess with those. But you may find some radio or other accessory wires that run down the kick panel and go under the scuff plates then under the carpet to the console.

nope, that don't buy him any grace in my book. as a contractor, he should have subs that owe him favors :hmm:
Hahhahaaa! Can’t lie have certainly taken advantage of that perk.

But It’s also very therapeutic, satisfying and calming for me. Building. Rebuilding. Repairing. Like this lovely rig.

You might want to start off buying a 12v test light. They are cheap around $10-$20. Looks like a screwdriver with a light bulb in the handle. It will have a ground wire coming off it with an alligator clip. Clip that to a ground. Good grounds are 10mm machine screws under the lower metal dash at either side. You may see some white with black stripe (ground wires) going to these locations. Anyway, clip your 12v tester to that then touch the probe end to the red wire end terminal that is coming out from the shifter to see if it's hot.

Ok, let me back up. First here is what a 12 volt tester looks like. (I apologize if this is too obvious) :

51izVTD54aL._SL1100_.jpg

Before testing wires ...let’s test the test light. connect the alligator clip to the negative on the 12v battery under the hood and touch the probe to the positive. Make sure the light comes on.
g-man this is great information and please don’t apologize for “obvious” stuff…I run with “measure twice cut once” so I have no shame in asking questions or resourcing to photos. I’d rather thorough information- so thank you.
I have a multimeter - but will also grab one of these too.

Another popular place for aftermarket wiring to run is under the scuff plates. These are the plastic pieces at the footwell of the door. Just remove the 6 or so philip head screws and pull up. There are stock wires under there so don't mess with those. But you may find some radio or other accessory wires that run down the kick panel and go under the scuff plates then under the carpet to the console.
You are my new bff !!!! Trust I’ll be reaching out with electrical and wiring questions- actually all questions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom