What is this bracket for? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Randomly saw thi bracket being unused. Any ideas?

3F572288-FFC0-4F7F-880C-D52C2059B3A4.jpeg

Holds the PS hardline section

Toyota calls it a “stay”. You can see it on the drawing. It holds a little u-bolt that clamped around the EGR flex pipe.
I can tell you from experience that the EGR flex pipe u-bolt with that associated stay isn’t necessary. It was overkill — even if the cruiser only drives on rough dirt roads.

8CDCA2E4-C85B-416B-9074-E0F03F7E7BD2.png

Toyota calls it a “stay”. You can see it on the drawing. It holds a little u-bolt that clamped around the EGR flex pipe.
I can tell you from experience that the EGR flex pipe u-bolt with that associated stay isn’t necessary. It was overkill — even if the cruiser only drives on rough dirt roads.

View attachment 3000413
mine might be pro off? another question I have is there any coolant running through the Cooler (25680)? or just Air?

The EGR cooler is just a heat sink. No coolant inside.

As a side note:
The EGR cooler rusts on the inside too. Chunks of rust can dislodge and get stuck in the EGR valve, preventing it from fully closing, or pass the valve and get sucked into a combustion chamber to be bounced around inside there for a while.

I removed some lodged rust chunks in my EGR valve (engine wouldn’t idle- huge vacuum leak) and the chunks were like metal stones. Very hard.

6139579F-420F-4AC9-B0EA-2A4826CF1A1E.jpeg

Last edited:
I think he's asking about bracket 44457

Are you, Lando ?

1651711582636.png

Reactions: OSS
The EGR cooler is just a heat sink. No coolant inside.

As a side note:
The EGR cooler rusts on the inside too. Chunks of rust can dislodge and get stuck in the EGR valve, preventing it from fully closing, or pass the valve and get sucked into a combustion chamber to be bounced around inside there for a while.

I removed some lodged rust chunks in my EGR valve (engine wouldn’t idle- huge vacuum leak) and the chunks were like metal stones. Very hard.

View attachment 3000661
is the EGR system working at all if a air pump is not installed?

The EGR system is independent from the air pump. There’s a few ways that the EGR valve can be purposely disabled even though it’s still installed.
The typical method is the vacuum hose connecting to the top of the EGR valve is removed and plugged.

@OSS I have the EGR off of my blue 60 right now. I got it open - only broke 1 bolt! - and found all kinds of rock hard carbon/rust chips in side. Note the bracket, too. Bracket doesn't seem super necessary to me given how inflexible the "flexible" EGR hose is.

egr cooler.jpg

Holy crap!
That rock pile is inside every single EGR cooler - spitting pebbles up into the engine every once in a while.
Geezus

Holy crap!
That rock pile is inside every single EGR cooler - spitting pebbles up into the engine every once in a while.
Geezus
I emptied it out and chiseled out more loose stuff, then wiped it down with brake cleaner and a wire brush. I don’t know what to do now … paint it? Like that will last with 1000*F+++ heat and spraying on a terrible surface. Close it up and run it?

I painted mine with POR manifold paint. Couldn't hurt, but I had some leftover.

I painted mine with POR manifold paint. Couldn't hurt, but I had some leftover.
How’s that holding up? Probably haven’t taken it apart to check, eh? I wouldn't either.

Yeah that’s all you can do. No paint is going to last long inside.
Now that you’ve opened it up - maybe open it up every year to inspect it and chip out more rust.
Another fun item to add to the yearly maintenance list!!!! I better stock up on anti seize.

How’s that holding up? Probably haven’t taken it apart to check, eh? I wouldn't either.

Nah, I did it like 15 years ago, now. I did have to remove the assy once, about 3 years ago when I broke the J-pipe stud, and I just looked inside through the threaded holes, and it seemed clean but sooty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom