what is the best toyota diesel ? plus a Gilbralter vid 70 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alberta mac

addicted but not cured
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
70 series has been V8 diesel for about 15 years now. That's why they widened the front end. But only in RHD markets. I think something in the turbo location stops it working for LHD.

If it's got the wide nose and an intercooler scoop it's likely a 1VD. If it's got no intercooler scoop it's either a 1HZ or the V6 petrol.
The V6 petrol is very rare. I've seen one.
The 1HZ is for LHD mining trucks and places with extremely bad fuel quality.

70 series has been V8 diesel for about 15 years now. That's why they widened the front end. But only in RHD markets. I think something in the turbo location stops it working for LHD.

If it's got the wide nose and an intercooler scoop it's likely a 1VD. If it's got no intercooler scoop it's either a 1HZ or the V6 petrol.
The V6 petrol is very rare. I've seen one.
The 1HZ is for LHD mining trucks and places with extremely bad fuel quality.

They most certainly have diesel V8 in left hand drive 70 series. Also, GRJ (V6) are not rare at all.....I suppose that statement could be dependant on where you live.

They most certainly have diesel V8 in left hand drive 70 series. Also, GRJ (V6) are not rare at all.....I suppose that statement could be dependant on where you live.

Where do you find a VDJ70 series in LHD?

Where do you find a VDJ70 series in LHD?

Here's one.

Here's one.

Thanks, first time I've ever heard of one. As you can see the turbo location is an issue

this engine have the turbo in the worst F.... place possible .. I have no idea ( I'm procuring the FSM for this model ) how you manage to pull it out with the engine on the vehicle ..

which got me wondering what is the best reliable, low maintenance with parts available diesel that Toyota makes that we can transplant into our 40/55/60/70 etc... ?
Well, not Toyota, but down here in BRA it is the Mercedes OM364. -> Mercedes-Benz OM364 engine - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_OM364_engine

It is a 4 inline diesel engine with 4Ltr displacement and comes in the standard-version of the Bandeirante just normal aspirated, but there is a stock OM364LA version with turbo and intercooler and 140hp (out of a truck, but it can be retrofitted as well). The problem is the low RPMs, means, the gearbox or diffs need to modified.

But it is a very simple, straight forward, comercial vehicle diesel engine build for small trucks, agriculture machines, etc. The precessor (OM314, I've it in mine Bandeirante) was also used in the early Unimogs. It's a DI engine, starts always without glowing, etc.
I get my parts from my local truck-parts-dealer and those are really affordable. A oilfilter is like 3-4USD, fuelfilter even less, everything on this engine they have on stock. I was asking for a ventilator -> "the plastic one, metal one, 6 or 8 blades,..." All in stock.
There are 2 wires to the engine: Oil Pressure Indication and Water Temperature Indication.

The little mercedes trucks make like half a million miles on this engine, then it get's overhauled. No real design-problems known. Just make sure, there is enough oil in the engine.

Downside: It is a rough engine and it feels like a real little truck, not like a car. My girlfriend loves our Jipe, but don't want to drive it because of that. And we are not speeding with it. On the highway this means, we are slow, but on rough streets or even a little offroad, it's perfect, just little above idle and it pulls you out everywhere. There is a phrase here, which is something like: "It's harder to stop the engine once it's running, then vice versa"

Well, not Toyota, but down here in BRA it is the Mercedes OM364. -> Mercedes-Benz OM364 engine - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_OM364_engine

It is a 4 inline diesel engine with 4Ltr displacement and comes in the standard-version of the Bandeirante just normal aspirated, but there is a stock OM364LA version with turbo and intercooler and 140hp (out of a truck, but it can be retrofitted as well). The problem is the low RPMs, means, the gearbox or diffs need to modified.

But it is a very simple, straight forward, comercial vehicle diesel engine build for small trucks, agriculture machines, etc. The precessor (OM314, I've it in mine Bandeirante) was also used in the early Unimogs. It's a DI engine, starts always without glowing, etc.
I get my parts from my local truck-parts-dealer and those are really affordable. A oilfilter is like 3-4USD, fuelfilter even less, everything on this engine they have on stock. I was asking for a ventilator -> "the plastic one, metal one, 6 or 8 blades,..." All in stock.
There are 2 wires to the engine: Oil Pressure Indication and Water Temperature Indication.

The little mercedes trucks make like half a million miles on this engine, then it get's overhauled. No real design-problems known. Just make sure, there is enough oil in the engine.

Downside: It is a rough engine and it feels like a real little truck, not like a car. My girlfriend loves our Jipe, but don't want to drive it because of that. And we are not speeding with it. On the highway this means, we are slow, but on rough streets or even a little offroad, it's perfect, just little above idle and it pulls you out everywhere. There is a phrase here, which is something like: "It's harder to stop the engine once it's running, then vice versa"

That's even longer stroke than the Isuzu 4BD1T. Must be a real slugger.

That's even longer stroke than the Isuzu 4BD1T. Must be a real slugger.
Well, it's a DI-Diesel (mechanical) designed for Trucks, so it feels like a real (little) truck engine. It runs pretty rough (no balance-shafts or whatsoever), but it has lots of torque in the midrange.
Some people complain about the behaviour when the engine is installed in the Mercedes Busses, but it's reliable, lasts forever, it's used to deliver a high amount of power over a long period. So the engine temp will not rise on a hot sunny day going slowly in second gear up dusty roads.

I would love to install a OM366-engine, this is the original 6zyl-version, the OM364 was developed from. It is then a 6 inline 6Liter engine with up to 240hp. But too heavy for a little Jipe.

Here in Brasil also a MWM 2.8 Turbodiesel is a common swap, if someone wants to have extra power. Or they just crank up the diesel-volume on the injection pump like hell and don't give a s*** about the engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom