what is the best and cheapest way to increase HP?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
lets list'em and list the cost as well??

I changed out the air filter with a TRD - cost was about $65, benifit is a little bit of hp increase, slightly better gas mileage, and it lasts for the life of the truck....

NEXT........

Noah said:

I changed out the air filter with a TRD - cost was about $65, benifit is a little bit of hp increase, slightly better gas mileage, and it lasts for the life of the truck....

NEXT........

oooo....best and cheap...let me think....NOPE can't do it with best & cheap in the same sentence:D . But take the cheap out, based upon what I have heard from 'da man, turbofying it makes more power and better fuel mileage (at least when the r's are up ;) ).

Press the "Power" button in. :D

Noah said:
and it lasts for the life of the truck....

But how much is engine life reduced by the increased contaminant intake ?

How many HP did TRD claim for the filter?

The low-restriction air filters typically claim up to about 5-6 hp gain for a V8 at high rpm peak HP point.

Perspective:

+ 5 HP / 230 HP = + 2%.

You will not notice 2%, especially at peak HP conditions of high rpm, with a heavy vehicle like a 100. 2% is within the ballpark of normal variation and measurement error, for drivetrain power output.

And at the typical lower rpms/loads, the gain is even less.

According to definition: "Negligible Gain"

(And check out the info on increased particulate intake of low-restriction air filters.)

Other ideas: Turbo or blower may increase power significantly, but you are going to wear things out faster, and/or break things, if you go this route.

But, people do these things anyway, eh? (I used to try to blow up engines & trannys for entertainment, too. But nowadays I have to spend my $ on other things...)

Please post pix of anything you break, so we can enjoy by proxy. :)

Tinkerer said:
The low-restriction air filters typically claim up to about 5-6 hp gain for a V8 at high rpm peak HP point.

Perspective:

+ 5 HP / 230 HP = + 2%.

You will not notice 2%, especially at peak HP conditions of high rpm, with a heavy vehicle like a 100. 2% is within the ballpark of normal variation and measurement error, for drivetrain power output.

And at the typical lower rpms/loads, the gain is even less.

According to definition: "Negligible Gain"

(And check out the info on increased particulate intake of low-restriction air filters.)

Other ideas: Turbo or blower may increase power significantly, but you are going to wear things out faster, and/or break things, if you go this route.

But, people do these things anyway, eh? (I used to try to blow up engines & trannys for entertainment, too. But nowadays I have to spend my $ on other things...)

Please post pix of anything you break, so we can enjoy by proxy. :)

I really like your answers. :beer:

yeah, i dont notice any HP difference in the TRD air filter, but i like the fact that i dont have to buy another ever again - i just have to clean and oil...
as far as engine wear...I would venture to guess that if one takes their 100 offroad they wouldnt use a high flow AF......for on road use, it makes sense to use

Noah said:
yeah, i dont notice any HP difference in the TRD air filter, but i like the fact that i dont have to buy another ever again - i just have to clean and oil...
as far as engine wear...I would venture to guess that if one takes their 100 offroad they wouldnt use a high flow AF......for on road use, it makes sense to use

What minimum particle size and percentage of total particles does TRD state your filter filters?

Noah said:

NEXT........

Cheap:flipoff2: I keep hoping somebody will try one of these out. The company has a good reputation.

http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_2&products_id=1260198002

The kit was designed for a Tundra and has the following description:

The stock 00-04 models were measured at 204 RWHP. Our (near silent) supercharger system is producing 80 more rear wheel horsepower over stock with only 5psi!

Noah said:

Noah, tell us how clean you oil looks at 3k. If you drive anywhere dusty it’s going to turn black – from dirt getting by your filter. Even in the city there’s going to be dust.
DMX

Running a lighter weight oil will result in less internal drag so perhaps a 0-20W oil would also work. If you went with a quality synthetic I would say very little risk and that could be gauged with UOA.

I think synthetic drivetrain oils are a plus and meet the criteria of low cost.

www.bobistheoilguy.com

Searching out low rolling-resistance tires could also result in more "felt" power. Making sure to keep tires at proper pressure will also help.

For more torque and better acceleration, 28" tires and a hi-stall torque converter!!!

With sportscars, guys will sometimes express their mods in "dollars per horsepower." So using the URD SC as an example, it is $4400 for 80 more rwhp or $55/hp. I would consider that a decent value.

It's not how fast you wanna go... it's how fast do you want to spend?

hoser said:
For more torque and better acceleration, 28" tires and a hi-stall torque converter!!!

With sportscars, guys will sometimes express their mods in "dollars per horsepower." So using the URD SC as an example, it is $4400 for 80 more rwhp or $55/hp. I would consider that a decent value.

It's not how fast you wanna go... it's how fast do you want to spend?

You beat me to it Hoser. Tiny wheels and tires along with getting rid of excess components like seats and any other heavy stuff that you don't need. I have even heard of jeep guys drilling/shaving their frame to make it lighter, not that I would recommend that.

On second thought, pile all of that stuff behind the rear wheels, ditch the transfer case and replace the front drive axle with a lightweight, non-powered axle and try to pop some wheelies! :D

I think the best "inexpensive" way to increase HP will end up being headers and aftermarket exhaust. The gains may not justify the cost UNLESS your stock headers are already cracked.

The only way to see real gains will be forced induction.

And I'll stick with my paper filters.

I thought my K&N Aircharger and Borla would make a difference, but I don't really notice anything. Sounds cool though.

macneill said:
I thought my K&N Aircharger and Borla would make a difference, but I don't really notice anything. Sounds cool though.
that was put in to stir up the froth for your in car Starbucks.....

Check out the LEXTREME forum for engine mods for all the Toyota/Lexus UZFE family of engines including our 2UZ-FE. I would love an affordable turbo set-up.

Gentlement,

I bet you guys can help me here since you ppl really good in LC. Haha ok here is my problem. I found a NEW TRD supercharger for the 4.7 v-8 tundra. Do you guys think MECHANICALLY it will sit into my LX470? I plan to plug and play it with my current UNIchip Piggyback. I hope someone out there can answer my question cuz im really hungry for something reliable like this. Im not saying Turbo or Other SC not great but bare in mind that mine is an AUTO Tranny and already 6yrs old clocking on dash 50,000 miles. Worry those aftermarket can kill my lovely working horse.

Cheers mate.

PS: Gary i'm sorry our deal newer went thuru. But i really serious to deal with you just wrong timing. My applogize to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom