What is the best A/T tire for the 2016 4Runner TRD Pro?

Discussion in 'Tire and Wheel Tech' started by TexasHusker, Apr 16, 2018.

1. TexasHusker

TexasHusker

I just bought my son a 2016 4Runner. It has the TRD-type wheels/tires. Right now they are Nitto G2s. Actually a pretty decent looking tire! They have 60K on them and still have 10K left, but since this is his graduation present I'm going to go ahead and put new tires on it to complete the look.

Should I go back with the Nittos as it was on the showroom floor? Or Goodyear, BF Goodrich, or Michelin?

2. gkanai

gkanai

Media:
    Modern A/T tires are all pretty good if they're from the major manufacturers. I prefer the BFG A/T KO2 but the others make good ones too. Some might be slightly longer-wearing, or have a higher-ply carcass, etc. There isn't one that is head and shoulders ahead of the other.

3. krice118

krice118

Well maybe see how he ends up using the 4runner first? If he sees alot of Mud or wants a specific size.....

4. TexasHusker

TexasHusker

I would say he's not going to be doing much off-roading. The tires will just be part of a "look" if that makes sense. But I do want something that's safe and long life.

5. krice118

krice118

I would go with General Grabber AT2s then, they look good and are cheaper than BFGs. I have 40k miles on them on my 100 and I think that I will get 20k more before needing to be replaced. They were SILENT for the first 30k now hear them just slightly

6. abuck99

abuck99 SILVER Star

7. gregnash

gregnash Anal Retentive Analyst SILVER Star

This if you are looking for an aggressive look with great road manners, good wear and good sound abatement.
    If you are looking for something that is more AT and not quite as aggressive looking then I would go with the Cooper ATP (Discount Tire specific tire) or the normal variant that you can buy anywhere, the AT3. Note that Cooper also makes MasterCraft Tires, so you could go with the MC tires at a slightly cheaper rate (and slightly different tread patterns).

8. FJ73Texas

FJ73Texas

Media:
    Albums:
    Of course there are a lot of factors involved but US made Goodyear is usually on the bottom of my list, including US made Dunlops (which are technically Sumitomo Rubber now).

9. FLATU8ER

FLATU8ER

THusker,
    If your boy is like any other, with a 4X4, he will hit more different terrain than you will know about.
    Any buck shot in the tail gate?
    You will not find out until he is 30ish.
    Good Luck

10. duke01

duke01

Duratracs and Grabber AT3 are another good all-around tires that you can add to your options.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.