What is most likely to break or strand an FJ40 off-road? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don’t know if anyone mentioned it, but I would be concerned about the gas tank in an old rig that hasn’t been off road. It may work fine on paved/graded roads, but when you get to washboard or off-roading all of the gunk will get sloshed around so it is good business to at least carry a spare fuel filter.

Good tip - this tank was cleaned before I installed it in the fuel filter so far has been debris free, but excellent heads up and I just threw a spare filter into the storage locker on the rig.

Yes, I have a ARB ice chest,, tent, bag and pelican tote with essentials, two 2gallon rotopax with water, a folding 100watt solar panel and
large 240 wh power pack that never leaves my truck. I also have a flashlights and a headlamp . I've been on trips alone where I got sick and had to just crash a couple days. I've only been mechanically stranded once with a broken rear axle. It took a day to get out so I spent
an unplanned night. It's very calming, when in an emergency, knowing there's no reason to worry or panic. I also have a great first aid kit.
Did this on one trip.... because of the very stocked kit , I didn't cut my trip short . I still had four days lift on the trip

View attachment 2102453

View attachment 2102454

View attachment 2102455
I like how you roll Dave. Worst thing anyone can do is panic. Thanks for sharing.

Was about 50 miles from home, headed to our desert property when the lovely Mrs skidplate needed a pee break. I pulled off the road and my engine just died.
I looked at the carb bowl and thought it was empty but infact was over the half the sight glass. I tried to start it but no go. I sat there for a while listening to the little lady
lecturing me on why she didn't want to drive that stupid old car in the first place. I got out and tapped on the carb and tried starting it again. It was obviously flooded
so went I into 'start when flooded ' mode. She fired right up. My wife said she had already called triple A and they were on the way. I explained to her that there probably
was a bugger in the needle valve and it's ok now. She said "I'm not going anywhere in this POS" Rather than argue with a pissed off wife I waited for the tow truck.
When he got there I fired up the cruiser and drove it up on the flat bed. Rode home in the tow truck, fired up the cruiser and drove it off the truck.
never had that trouble again. With the cruiser I mean.

It seems like you had planned well with the spares. In my experience, many times the oh s*** moment happens when you grab that spare item for replacement while on the trail and then you realize that you don't have the necessary tools along to change the item.....sometimes the things that cause us the most trouble are the simple things that just get overlooked. Review the procedure for changing the items out and verify you have the tools (standard or special) along for the ride.

When I got my FJ40 in 1980 a coworker with a Chevy Blazer warned me not to go off road because “Every time, something is going to break” . It’s 2021 and nothing has broken yet. Not off road, anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom