What does it take to run 37's? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You have $75,000 in your trail rig and your worried about the cost of custom bumpers? No offense, but that is the lamest thing I have ever heard. I would think just about any welding shop could build a rear bumper for the cost of a slee with shipping.

ShottsUZJ100 said:
It'd destroy the trucks looks. Nothing (ARB bumper, slider, rear bump, etc) would fit any longer. If ya have a Podvin thingy sweet. On a regular Cruiser. Why ruin it's looks?

I will take that as a no then mr shotts.......

So i will also discard your comments re the amount of work required to fit 37's, and custom bumpers, if you havent "been there, done that"......

Well, you can regear the rear Schotts, it just take some parts from an 80 series to do it. We know of two people who have done it so far, Slee and the guy from WA (sorry, his name escapes me).

And your bumpers can be used with custom fabricated brackets. The sliders would look bad, but they could be modified too.

hoser said:
Just wanted to mention that when I priced custom bumpers, they were similiar in price to the "off the shelf" ones. The front will have to be custom anyway since there is nothing I really like out there for the LX470. I like the Slee rear bumper but that has been out of stock. On the waiting list for that one too.

Hey, there is an outfit up in Sac named Bentup and they build some awesome rides, including some of the nicest custom bumpers I've ever seen. Most of their work is on Toyotas, tons of SAS conversions on Tacos and Tundras.

Look them up for custom bumper needs.

http://www.bentup.com/main.html

As far as pricing goes, I'm sure I can get a custom winch bumper for less than the cost of an ARB.

calamaridog said:
Well, you can regear the rear Schotts, it just take some parts from an 80 series to do it. We know of two people who have done it so far, Slee and the guy from WA (sorry, his name escapes me).

I think the other guy is Carl? I think his user id is Montorc or something like that. He wrote up a pretty good thread not too long ago on re-gearing to 4.88's.

It would definitely be cool to see someone give it a go. I also think a two inch b.l. would get you pretty close and a good body shop could roll the fenders for clearance and it would still look good. For someone that doesn't have sliders or bumpers yet, it wouldn't be that much more to go with custom pieces. My biggest concern is how will the cv's handle the big meats?

Josh83 said:
You have $75,000 in your trail rig and your worried about the cost of custom bumpers? No offense, but that is the lamest thing I have ever heard. I would think just about any welding shop could build a rear bumper for the cost of a slee with shipping.

It does sound lame doesn't it? When I built my truck though I got about the first of everything off the line. (Sliders, bumpers, etc) That was tough enough. I also wanted to keep the truck's good looks so I waited for non-custom things. There's NO SHOPS worth a POOP in Tucson for this stuff. If I lived in CA where experts abound, the thing a had 37's a while ago. :D

What I meant is at this point I'd have to tear the thing up to fit 37's.
I am searching for another 100 as a DDriver. Will build it, cut front and rear frames, fab bumpers (not for looks), and might try for the 37 routine. You guys have me going! (Though I won't drop an 80 rear end in it for gears)

ShottsUZJ100 said:
(Though I won't drop an 80 rear end in it for gears)

Forget the rear end! It's the front you want. Do a SAS w/ front e-locker from an 80, add 6" springs all around and those 37's will fit AND actually go up and down :)

clownmidget said:
Forget the rear end! It's the front you want. Do a SAS w/ front e-locker from an 80, add 6" springs all around and those 37's will fit AND actually go up and down :)

If I lived by Slee, maybe. Here in Tucson, no way. Besides, it'll be a DD, so it's IFS all the way. :D

clownmidget said:
John, I know this guy is in Tempe but he has made a name for himself in the mini/4Runner field
(www.sonoransteel.com)

Sweet Clown. I've filed his site away. I'd luv some aggressive work on my next 100. Don't care what it'll look like (well, too much). Mmmm, 37's?? Wow...... :cool:

calamaridog said:
Hey, there is an outfit up in Sac named Bentup and they build some awesome rides, including some of the nicest custom bumpers I've ever seen. Most of their work is on Toyotas, tons of SAS conversions on Tacos and Tundras.

Look them up for custom bumper needs.

http://www.bentup.com/main.html

As far as pricing goes, I'm sure I can get a custom winch bumper for less than the cost of an ARB.
Thanks for the info, Calamari! I will talk to bent-up about the body armor as well as Luke at 4x4Labs.

As for regearing, I talked to Gary at Mudrak and he said he can do the work along with the ARB lockers.

bentup bumper

I really like the quality of Bentup's stuff. They've built some real nice SAS trucks and armour.

If you take yours to Bentup, ask them to take a look under there and see what they think about doing an SAS.
bentupbumper2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom