What does it take to run 37's? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hoser

SILVER Star
Threads
My 35" tires are still on backorder :frown: But my friend (with the tire shop) asks, "How about some 37's?" I'm still probably going to wait for the 35's but I was curious on people's thoughts on what is needed to run 37's. Will Slee's 2" suspension lift with a 2" body lift work? What other mods would one need?

I think Podvin's 100 ran 37's using about what you described above.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=15434&page=1&pp=30&highlight=podvin+100

88296754.jpg

88296747.jpg

Yes, those are 38's. But he's done so much to it that I can't tell what is the minimum needed.

hoser said:
Yes, those are 38's. But he's done so much to it that I can't tell what is the minimum needed.

In the thread I linked to it was said all that was done was a 2" OME lift and a 2" body lift.

I've read the thread and I can only find this:
cruiserdan said:
Augie, Yes, body lift. IIRC about 4 inches. (he told me but I forgot the exact number.

hoser said:
I've read the thread and I can only find this:

Hmmm.... you know, I just re-read it too and only found that. Sorry bout that.

C-Dan did say in another part that there was an OME lift, but I'm sure I remember reading somewhere in some thread where Alan (or his wife, who posted here around then?) said exaclty what it had, and I'm pretty sure it was the same as you described.

That said, thinking of it logically, on IFS rigs the tire height to lift ratio is a little different than on solid axle rigs. Solid axle rigs, when lifted, have different wheel travel than stock, therefore necessitating a bigger lift than change of tire diameter (i.e. 2.5" lift on an 80 series only lets you run a 1" larger radius tire). On an IFS rig, however, wheel travel will always be what it was when stock. So if you lift it 2", you should be able to run a 2" larger radius tire. That's why you can run 35's on just an regular OME lift. Keeping that in mind (as far as the front is concerned) you should only need about a 1" additional lift to run 37's.

The back, however, still has the same issues as a solid axle rig. If you lift the back 3", then have a 2" body lift, you should be able to get by with 37's and some bump stops.

Here's the thread from when it was for sale.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=16032

Think it says 2" suspension lift and 4"(?) frame(?) lift, if I'm translating the old HTML text right.

But that was for 38's, so, whatever...

More than likely, I will go with 35's and regear since it's going to be more of an expedition rig. I am just toying with the idea of something larger since I'm regearing anyway...

Go the 37's, its only 1" all around from 35's anyway, and with some clever trimming, bolting, Im sure 2" supension, and 2" body will go very close to enough, or even longer shocks, and bump stop spacers of 1" so you gain the 1" back in droop, that you lose in spacer, but gain in diff clearance with 37's.

Im currently running 37" Pro Comp Xterrains on 16x10 rims, and have re geared from 4.11's to 4.88's making gearing like the standard tyre size, and have found driving/handling no different really over 35's.

Nice, is your rig IFS? Do you mind posting some pictures? Which offset did you use on the wheels and how is that working for you?

They arent on a 100, but a rigid front axle 4wd, but i ran 36" swampers on my 78 series

troopy-lightforce240blitz.jpg

And I ran 36" swampers on my 80, both with no body mods, and a slight fender trim on my current truck, at the bottom of the front fender, which is covered by the inner plastic panel and standard mudflap.

new truck can be seen here.

home page pin up here this month

hoser said:
More than likely, I will go with 35's and regear since it's going to be more of an expedition rig. I am just toying with the idea of something larger since I'm regearing anyway...

So in Japan there is a lower gear for the full time tranny. 10% lower. Might be something to consider but I don't know anyone using it here.

hoser said:
Nice, is your rig IFS? Do you mind posting some pictures? Which offset did you use on the wheels and how is that working for you?

His is not IFS. There is no 4.88 gear for the UZJ on the planet. :mad:

37s on a UZJ with current available options? No way unless you cut the hell out of the wells and do some pretty slick front end work/body lift. If 37's would fit on a 100 without trashing it, I'd have done it already. :)
The 35's already rub the upper control arms.

It'd destroy the trucks looks. Nothing (ARB bumper, slider, rear bump, etc) would fit any longer. If ya have a Podvin thingy sweet. On a regular Cruiser. Why ruin it's looks?

Just wanted to mention that when I priced custom bumpers, they were similiar in price to the "off the shelf" ones. The front will have to be custom anyway since there is nothing I really like out there for the LX470. I like the Slee rear bumper but that has been out of stock. On the waiting list for that one too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom