What do you think? Worth powder coating? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_1503.JPG
Hey there,

I plastidipped one of the the FJC wheels, I think I like it black but don't know if I'm willing to pay for powder coating at $75/wheel. What y'all think?

It's more important what you think. No one really cares what someone else's car looks like. Silver or back are both good. I'm tired of black wheels. I like real dark gray. Not gray, not black.

O.S has the good point, its what you think. I don't know how Plastidip holds up on wheels but its easy touch up. I used it on my rear door emblems and it has lasted well. The good advantage is if you get tired of the color it is cheap to change, unlike powder coating.

Plastic dipping is hit or miss it seems. Some people have successful experiences with it and others just have lots of peeling, especially on wheels. I feel the more durable and reliable option is powder coating but it would then be hard to change it later.

Id stick with the plasti dip, If you take it off road much , you're just going to scratch them up anyway. Plasti dip is easy to touch up. Plus if you ever want to sell them , you have the option of returning them back to the stock look

you did a nice job with the plasti dip... they look good as black. power coat should last a good long time but as you know everything gets scratched up eventually. If you like the black look on your FJ Cruiser go for it. If you're not sure, plasti dip all of them and ride around with it awhile until you decide.

Good luck to you

Thanks All. At $5-$6 bucks a can I can plastidip for less than $30. I do like em black but also want the option of going back to grey. I'm going to put them on some 285/75/17 ST Maxx after I do the BMC and install a Boss lift kit. So it will take me time for me to report how the plastic wrap holds up. After thinking about it I rather use the ~ $300 it would take me to powder coat them and save up for the Rokmen UCA. They look awesome but haven't really seen reviews.

If you plan on playing in the rocks it might not be worth it.. but I had my FJ80 wheels painted and accepted that they would get chewed up and I was ok with that

If you plastidipped your wheels make sure you have ceramic brake pads. The brake pads that produce brake dust stick to the plastidip paint. I think it's better to keep the wheel it's original color as scratches won't be much of an issue. But if you spend $100 per wheel to powdercoat them and scratch them while wheeling hurts!

Yeah I just changed my brake pad purchased from Toyota dealer. They said they are ceramic.

I live in the south plains of Texas so don't anticipate passing through rocks anytime soon.

I bought a replacement set of 07 OEM wheels for my FJC with the intention of going with black ... stayed with original colour ... on a Voodoo Blue FJC silver/aluminum looks better and besides, seems everyone has black wheels on their vehicle these days ...

I think the black looks good if you've 'murdered out' the rest of the vehicle. Powder coat is nice (I just had 4 wagon wheels done in ebony black), but they will eventually get scratched/chipped, which makes touch-ups difficult. Not impossible, just difficult to match.

Like the other's have replied, it's your vehicle, go with what YOU like.

Soooo, turns out I sold the wheels, tires and lift. Bought a '05 LX for my wife. Meaning that I will be running the FJC stock for a while longer. But hey still own an FJC, not something many can say. Some argue against the FJC but I loooove it. Thanks for all your replies guys.

Do just one side for a while. Then you can hem & haw all you like.

Totally off topic but my college roommate had a 1979 Mustang with aluminum wheels on one side and fake spoke plastic wheel covers on the other side. Over the course of 4 years I was the only one that noticed. His standard answer was "I can only look at one side at a time."

Eric

Soooo, turns out I sold the wheels, tires and lift. Bought a '05 LX for my wife. Meaning that I will be running the FJC stock for a while longer. But hey still own an FJC, not something many can say. Some argue against the FJC but I loooove it. Thanks for all your replies guys.
Still rocking my '07 and loving it, but just put a bunch of work into which I will detail in a new thread soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom