Builds What did you do to your Land Cruiser/Toyota/Lexus 4X4 this week? (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My 93 had been running a bit rough. I finally got time to dig around and found some bad news.
IMG_20210421_161729442_HDR.jpg

All cylinders had spark. All spark plugs looked decent. Compression on #5 was very low. 54 psi compared to the others around 165 psi. Leak down test showed #5 at 100%. Air was escaping through exhaust. I guess I have a few more weekends of work ahead of me.

My 93 had been running a bit rough. I finally got time to dig around and found some bad news. View attachment 2652292
All cylinders had spark. All spark plugs looked decent. Compression on #5 was very low. 54 psi compared to the others around 165 psi. Leak down test showed #5 at 100%. Air was escaping through exhaust. I guess I have a few more weekends of work ahead of me.

Been there, but my headgasket went out on me and I had Scott Higgins fix it for me.

I did the head gasket 13 years ago. That would be easier than having to do whatever head work this is going to need. My buddy told me to just do an LS swap!

I've priced that out and it is not cheap but also depends on where you source your parts for that swap.

Finally finished my new electrical panel. Last one was pretty cramped and in an inconvenient location.

Left some room for upgrades. Plexi panel will cover it with thumbscrews for easy access.

PXL_20210502_220216464.jpg

BAD90EC2-7FCD-4F27-B479-6EC3EA6F1E63.jpeg

Almost ready to start going back together. This isn’t the 1FZ though. I thought I might warm up for that with the head gasket in the 2JZ. Then after the 1FZ, I guess it’s time to do rings on the old F. I need more weekends during the week!

This doesn't look right ... finally replacing this jacked up birf on the 40 Project

FrtRt Birf 1r.jpg

Decided to do a valve adjustment, found the adjuster frozen so I removed the rocker assembly, stripped it, cleaned and rebuilt. Once I started putting it back together I ran a compression test and got some good numbers considering pushing 300K.

One outlier, did cylinder 2 twice but still get the same number, as it did not appear to leak down I will not pursue it.

20210504_173143.jpg

Discovered the 3FE rocker assembly must be aligned correctly in assembly and shaft alignment in order to ensure oil delivery to the rockers, very important. After assembly I got it running and verified oil was flowing out of the rocker oil ports.

20210504_173204.jpg

Old top speed 68
New top speed 68.5

Last edited:
For the photo :grinpimp:... I just took off the latex gloves. See how prune like my hands are from stewing in a gallon of sweat underneath.
Super clean fingers

4x4 Labs can carrier welded up, painted, and installed. Wish it came with all the parts, and some directions, but I’m happy with the finished product.
Also threw in a new, inexpensive Pyle 6.5” woofer in the factory location while I was back there. I thought it was bypassed when I put in the new Pioneer headunit, but it wasn’t. I am always surprised when working on the Cruiser 🤪

...now on to slightly more important “get ready for summer” tasks like a new Koyo radiator, bypassing the rear heater, new heater control unit, and juicing the fan clutch.

2C07CCAD-8DFC-4735-ACEC-6B56340FEE76.jpeg

00824D94-C5E3-4E8F-B8A0-D64FC93951F2.jpeg

I'm collecting parts for the 5th Gen 4runner and have it mostly planned out. Today I replaced the stock skid plates with a set from ARB. I have KDSS, which requires a different sku (arb5421110). These were on backorder for a bit, so I'm happy to have them. They did require a little massaging for the front piece to line up and my neighbors tap and die set to forgive one of my mishaps. The transfer case skid needed ARBs little spot welded lot number tags, or some such, to be pounded flat for it to line up as well. Overall it took me far too long for what it was, but it's done and I'm happy they are on.
IMG_0943.PNG
tempImageFgmdke.jpg

tempImagesOsdn5.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom