What are Front Bumper Differences 1998-2002 & 2003-2007? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking at what's out there and I like the Defiance and then the TJM. I've always been an ARB fan though and am leaning that way, but I like the 2003+ version of their deluxe bumper better than the 98-2002. Can you put an 03+ on a 98-02?

I believe there is a 1” difference. As in putting an 03+ on a 98-02 would be a 1” gap at the fenders. Not 100% sure on this but have seen it around on some threads and videos with other bumpers

FWIW I acquired a used steal bumper (name brand not known) from a 1999 Cruiser build. I mounted it on my 2003 LX 470 and had to do some minor massaging (cutting) to the inner trip pieces below the grill. Remember our LX 470 from 03 has the grill attached to the hood. It was a bit of a battle but worth it because the bumper was economical and I plan to keep it on the rig for the rigs life. If was buying an ARB (awesome bumper), suggest getting the applicable model for the respective year LX.

I put an 03+ ARB on my 01 LC. There is a slight gap between the top of the bumper and the fascia under the grill and headlights. It is not visible unless you are looking down on the bumper. Very minor and doesn't look bad at all. I personally prefer the look of 03+ to the 98-02 and would rather have the gap and the new design than no gap and the old design.

Edit: Here's a couple pics I could find from when I mounted my winch.

04FAA12D-733A-4FAF-9C3B-C6A5404021D9.jpeg

7257E2D6-11DB-4EEC-B104-DE5B606FBBC2.jpeg

I put an 03+ ARB on my 01 LC. There is a slight gap between the top of the bumper and the fascia under the grill and headlights. It is not visible unless you are looking down on the bumper. Very minor and doesn't look bad at all. I personally prefer the look of 03+ to the 98-02 and would rather have the gap and the new design than no gap and the old design.

Edit: Here's a couple pics I could find from when I mounted my winch.

View attachment 3067639

View attachment 3067640
That looks pretty good. I'm really leaning towards the TJM on my LX as I like the way the uprights in the center angle out like the LX grille/headlights do. I'm also putting a TJM locker in the front as well.

That looks pretty good. I'm really leaning towards the TJM on my LX as I like the way the uprights in the center angle out like the LX grille/headlights do. I'm also putting a TJM locker in the front as well.
I really considered the TJM as well, but at the time it had a longer lead times than the ARB. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom