Welcome to Veterans' Highway! (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey folks, not sure if I've posted this before but I'll try again.

My name is Corey, I'm currently active Air Force. I'll be separating this summer for medical discharge unfortunately. I've spent the last 6 years as a H-60 Crew Chief which certainly makes automotive work seem a lot easier.

I'm currently in Okinawa Japan, seems a few of you have been here. I'm trying to find a 60 or 80 series to take back to the states. I'd welcome your input on this task, as I'm having trouble deciding. I'd like to use the vehicle for daily work but really it's purpose will be for road trips, mountain drives, and camping/4wheeling. Probably never going over 35s, using it mainly for the cargo area and to get where most people don't, I have very little interest in building a crawler... easier ways to do that.

I used to own an FJ40 but it never saw the road. It was one of those father son projects that never happened. He got sick and I couldn't tell a wrench from a screw driver at the time. Sold to a collector who wanted the glass headlights and factory steel wheels. At 6'6" and 240lbs, it might have been best I didn't keep it.

I'm trying to get a job in Arizona when I get out as the wife has allergies and my knees don't like the cold as well as they used to. I look forward to reading around this site, taking yalls information. I appreciate all the advice in advance.

Thank you for your service Okigoose. I use to do a lot of wheeling in AZ. There are a lot of trails and places to explore.

Thank you for your service GA682. Nice 80 ,are those wheels 10" beadlocks. If so how do you like them.

My name is Corey, I'm currently active Air Force. I'll be separating this summer for medical discharge unfortunately. I've spent the last 6 years as a H-60 Crew Chief which certainly makes automotive work seem a lot easier.

I'm currently in Okinawa Japan, seems a few of you have been here. I'm trying to find a 60 or 80 series to take back to the states. I'd welcome your input on this task, as I'm having trouble deciding. I'd like to use the vehicle for daily work but really it's purpose will be for road trips, mountain drives, and camping/4wheeling. Probably never going over 35s, using it mainly for the cargo area and to get where most people don't, I have very little interest in building a crawler... easier ways to do that.

I used to own an FJ40 but it never saw the road. It was one of those father son projects that never happened. He got sick and I couldn't tell a wrench from a screw driver at the time. Sold to a collector who wanted the glass headlights and factory steel wheels. At 6'6" and 240lbs, it might have been best I didn't keep it.

I'm trying to get a job in Arizona when I get out as the wife has allergies and my knees don't like the cold as well as they used to. I look forward to reading around this site, taking yalls information. I appreciate all the advice in advance.

There are a lot of decent Land Cruisers on Goo-net-exchange.com. Try searching there. As for the 60 or 80, get what you prefer. Do a bit of research on the engines that are available and pick the one you want. Wheels, lift and tires are easy. An engine swap is harder.

Diesels are worth a lot more in the states then gassers, so resale, if you ever decide to sell, will be higher. Just remember it has to be 25 years old to export from Japan.

There are a lot of decent Land Cruisers on Goo-net-exchange.com. Try searching there. As for the 60 or 80, get what you prefer. Do a bit of research on the engines that are available and pick the one you want. Wheels, lift and tires are easy. An engine swap is harder.

Diesels are worth a lot more in the states then gassers, so resale, if you ever decide to sell, will be higher. Just remember it has to be 25 years old to export from Japan.

I've been on goo net. I've lived here a couple years. I have a local guy looking right now so he can hook me up on JCI/shaken. Japanese friends help.

Any input on the diesels? I've seen there were a couple options.

I'd like an 80 over the 60 for the coil sprung suspension but the 60 has that old school cool factor.

I'm actually trying to buy one that hasn't been lifted yet, gives me a chance to do it myself, ensure the work, and inspect any suspect items while I'm under there. Basically planning for the 3-4" realm with a 35. Bumpers, winch, etc. Pretty standard.

I'd go with the 1HD-T. You can easily find one here. The lockers are also pretty common on those. If I didn't get mine for such a good price, I would have gone with a 1HD-T and lockers. There is one on my base that another guy owns and it is a pretty nice rig.

Remember though, there is little support for the diesels in the states. And they are more expensive to maintain. I want to say an injector pump would cost $2000+ to rebuild. However, the factory diesels in the states resell easily.

Mine is a 3FE without lockers, but only has 59,500 km's. I paid half of what a dealer would have charged. I paid for a rig with no issues and no rust, which was more important to me than having the diesel.

Welcome Corey, thanks for your service.

I'd go with the 1HD-T. You can easily find one here. The lockers are also pretty common on those. If I didn't get mine for such a good price, I would have gone with a 1HD-T and lockers. There is one on my base that another guy owns and it is a pretty nice rig

I want to say there wasn't a 1HD option in 92 or prior, i could be wrong. I'd like that idea but gotta play within the 25 year rule.

Sounds like you got a good deal. Honestly I'll be happy with just about whatever I get.

I want to say there wasn't a 1HD option in 92 or prior, i could be wrong. I'd like that idea but gotta play within the 25 year rule.

Sounds like you got a good deal. Honestly I'll be happy with just about whatever I get.

I want to say it was 1990 when the 1HD-T was in the 80s.

You will love it. But don't expect anything for gas mileage. I am right at 12 mpg in my 3FE...

Welcome Okigoose, welcome to the highway. Thanks for your service.

Larry in El Paso

I want to say it was 1990 when the 1HD-T was in the 80s.

You will love it. But don't expect anything for gas mileage. I am right at 12 mpg in my 3FE...

I'll have to look around, see what's available.

You don't buy a Land Cruiser for the miles per gallon. More like smiles per gallon.

Welcome Corey, thanks for serving!!

I'm gonna include @peteinjp here... Maybe he can point you toward your dream.

Pete, please see the bold in Corey's post above.

Thanks!!

Welcome Corey, thanks for serving!!

I'm gonna include @peteinjp here... Maybe he can point you toward your dream.

Pete, please see the bold in Corey's post above.

Thanks!!

Thanks for the invite Danny! Corey- why not a 70 series??

Pete

Thanks for the invite Danny! Corey- why not a 70 series??

Pete

Good question, and I have a couple reasons.

I was all about getting a 70 ZX in the short wheelbase with an FRP top. However, I've recently noticed I don't fit very well. At 6'6" and 240lbs I'm a little uncomfortable in the front unfortunately.

The 70 long wheelbase are attractive but I'm still uncomfortable and doesn't offer enough storage.

A 60 series offers the longer wheelbase, a little more room up front, and I can find them. My only issue is the leaf spring suspension for comfort reasons, the age for maintenance reasons, and a general lack of refinement. As an off-road only rig, I would be more inclined.

An 80 series seems just a little more refined, cool springs offer obvious benefits, and I feel the non JDM specific parts on the vehicle may be a little easier to source. Also the idea of the 1HD engine seems like a good choice. However the 80 series tends to be a little more expensive here.

As I plan to daily drive the vehicle and off-road reasonably I'm of the opinion the 80 would simply be the best option. Long road trips across country wouldn't be quite as comfortable on leaf springs from my experience. No denying the nostalgic look though.

Good question, and I have a couple reasons.

I was all about getting a 70 ZX in the short wheelbase with an FRP top. However, I've recently noticed I don't fit very well. At 6'6" and 240lbs I'm a little uncomfortable in the front unfortunately.

The 70 long wheelbase are attractive but I'm still uncomfortable and doesn't offer enough storage.

A 60 series offers the longer wheelbase, a little more room up front, and I can find them. My only issue is the leaf spring suspension for comfort reasons, the age for maintenance reasons, and a general lack of refinement. As an off-road only rig, I would be more inclined.

An 80 series seems just a little more refined, cool springs offer obvious benefits, and I feel the non JDM specific parts on the vehicle may be a little easier to source. Also the idea of the 1HD engine seems like a good choice. However the 80 series tends to be a little more expensive here.

As I plan to daily drive the vehicle and off-road reasonably I'm of the opinion the 80 would simply be the best option. Long road trips across country wouldn't be quite as comfortable on leaf springs from my experience. No denying the nostalgic look though.

I hate the wheels on this one, but its still nice!
TOYOTA LAND CRUISER 80 VX LIMITED | 1992 | BLACK | 228,970 km | details.- Japanese used cars.Goo-net Exchange

This one looks good too!
TOYOTA LAND CRUISER 80 VX LIMITED | 1992 | BLACK | 199,000 km | details.- Japanese used cars.Goo-net Exchange

I get the height thing. I'm 6'4" and my 40 daily driver series works fine until I need to look left or right- then I get an eye full of B-pillar. Not to mention it's way less comfortable than even the 60 series.

I think you're on the right track with 80 series. Especially if you're talking about being on the highway. I can't say for sure but I bet you'd find that in addition to the comfort of the coil springs the wind noise will be a lot lower in an 80 series then a 60 series.

I think if you went with the diesel you'd be able to get your money back out of it in the states if you ever feel like you need to sell it. So it may be a little on the expensive side but in the long run it would probably balance out.

There's no point in going halfway with it if your going to the trouble of hauling it back to the states. If you're going to get one, take the hit, lay out the dough and get the best, rust free, well maintained, low mileage example that you can find.

Pete

I get the height thing. I'm 6'4" and my 40 daily driver series works fine until I need to look left or right- then I get an eye full of B-pillar. Not to mention it's way less comfortable than even the 60 series.

I think you're on the right track with 80 series. Especially if you're talking about being on the highway. I can't say for sure but I bet you'd find that in addition to the comfort of the coil springs the wind noise will be a lot lower in an 80 series then a 60 series.

I think if you went with the diesel you'd be able to get your money back out of it in the states if you ever feel like you need to sell it. So it may be a little on the expensive side but in the long run it would probably balance out.

There's no point in going halfway with it if your going to the trouble of hauling it back to the states. If you're going to get one, take the hit, lay out the dough and get the best, rust free, well maintained, low mileage example that you can find.

Pete

I'd agree. It may be harder on Okinawa to find one, but there are plenty on the main land that are rust free and good condition.

Pete, where are you at in Japan? Im up north...

Those are good options that are on the mainland. Unfortunately to buy them private party involves $1000USD in shipping to Okinawa, plus substantial costs in JCI and Shaken. Going through a dealer absorbs some of that cost (admittedly not all of it)

Plan is to buy the cleanest low mileage vehicle possible, take it stateside, and drive. Pretty simple overall. Lifts, wheels, bumpers... they all come with time and aren't selling points for me.

No denying they look good though. Thanks for all the insight and advice. I figured the 80 series would be the better bet. Narrows my shopping list!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom