Weird oil leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings all,

I have a 99 lx470 that I just took on a trail from Silverton Colorado to engineers pass. On the way pack I slammed down hard a few times and actually cracked my step up. That’s ok. And it wasn’t THAT hard. I was going pretty slow. But my ACH was shoddily removed and I have conventional springs now that aren’t that heavy duty.

So some time later we stopped at a miners shack to check it out. Vehicle was tilted down and leaning to the left a little. After about ten minutes we went to leave and I noticed a small pool of oil under the engine, drivers side, just a few inches back from the drIvers side axel. By back I mean a few inches closer to the driver than the fron.

I looked and looked and couldn’t quite figure out where it is come if from. Checked fluids and they were fine. Started driving back carefully and stopped 5 times to check and no more leaking. What the he’ll was that? And now that I’m back at camp I was looking drivers side tire in and saw below. What the heck was this?

thank you for any help you can give. I’m trying to decide if it’s ok to continue with my six year old or if we should do something like hike tomorrow and drive back slow on Sunday.

A3433DEC-FCFB-4539-94B5-081030638C84.jpeg

Actually I correct that. Now that the vehicle has cooled down it is registering empty, or just at the very bottom of the dip stick. Like quarter of an inch.

lol wtf? ^^^

Geez man...whoever removed your AHC and did valve cover gaskets did some garbage work...

WTF happened to that head? Mounting surfaces have been cut off the head... I guess they broke off the studs and did a crappy fix by cutting out the broken bolt and instead of drilling out? I would flip if I paid someone money for that...

WTF happened to that head? Mounting surfaces have been cut off the head... I guess they broke off the studs and did a crappy fix by cutting out the broken bolt and instead of drilling out? I would flip if I paid someone money for that...
Seriously. They owe him a new head. That’s some major backyard bull$hit. @Mackeath - Did you take it to a shop in Espanola? 🤦🏻‍♂️ For future reference, Toy Auto Man in Santa Fe is a pretty good indy shop.

Last edited:
I've never seen such shade tree work before, it's actually not leaking though lol but still, wtf.

@2001LC is going to have a heart attack when he sees that work.

Last edited:
Maybe we should start a sticky thread with known good shops/techs/mechanics. Three separate recommendations to make the list.

Well, how about a deep breath and realize this won't get solved tonight. A good Plan A and Plan B are in order.

Well, a six pack (of oil) for the trip home is probably a good idea. Hourly bathroom breaks to check fluids. Low engine speeds Yada Yada Yada. You may top her up and not lose another drop on the way home.

Collect evidence with photos now and when you get home. Share them here so (hopefully) others can take similar photos showing "correctness" and share them. Then work on an approach plan. Is that Meineke shop corporate? Franchise? Different ways to handle either.

Well. In my flustered state I appear to have poured one quart too many in now. What a day. Stupid question. What’s the easiest way to get rid of it? Turkey badger and a hose if just got it he drain plug for a bit.

yes. I know. It’s been a day.

and what is it called that they cut? For my friendly can you fix this conversation tomorrow.

Last edited:
Take care of it tomorrow. Hit the reset button, wind down, and try to get some sleep

Well. In my flustered state I appear to have poured one quart too many in now. What a day. Stupid question. What’s the easiest way to get rid of it? Turkey badger and a hose if just got it he drain plug for a bit.

yes. I know. It’s been a day.

and what is it called that they cut? For my friendly can you fix this conversation tomorrow.
How much extra oil did you put in? Partially remove the oil filter- unscrew it until the oil starts dribbling out you might get 1/2 quart out this way. Have a catch can, bucket under so you dont make a mess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom