weight distribution (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
If you were going to add an additional 150# to an FJ40 where would be the best place to do it?
I'm thinking over, or behind the rear axle.

Well, if I had a hard top on, I would probably put it more centered over the drive shaft (have hauled 1000's in a half ton truck many, many times, and basic rule of thumb is to put it either more front-side, or directly over the axle, but never further back; this will cause horrible steering issues). If not, I would put it to the rear, as you say. Is this to counter the weight of the operator?

spdwaver1 said:
Well, if I had a hard top on, I would probably put it more centered over the drive shaft (have hauled 1000's in a half ton truck many, many times, and basic rule of thumb is to put it either more front-side, or directly over the axle, but never further back; this will cause horrible steering issues). If not, I would put it to the rear, as you say. Is this to counter the weight of the operator?
The operator hasn't seen 150# on a scale in 35 years. ;) Thinking more along the lines of a fixed storage or aux fuel tank.

Would still try and place it under the seats, or at least not behind the rear axle. Poser got a tank that fills up all under-seat storage.

http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/fj40fueltanklr28gal.htm

And that is where he got it. That is what I would do, and more than likely will soon, being that I fill up so aften driving to and fro.

1973Guppie said:
low and centered as possible.......

Noah
Why not over the rear axle?
I would think it would help with traction since the rear end is so light compared to the front.

spdwaver1 said:
Would still try and place it under the seats, or at least not behind the rear axle. Poser got a tank that fills up all under-seat storage.

http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/fj40fueltanklr28gal.htm

And that is where he got it. That is what I would do, and more than likely will soon, being that I fill up so aften driving to and fro.
Because I looked at the $$$$. I'm hoping if I keep the shape simple I can get a custom tank made cheaper.

rusty_tlc said:
Why not over the rear axle?
I would think it would help with traction since the rear end is so light compared to the front.

yeah, it all depends on your makeup I guess, if you are light in the rear, put some weight in the rear. General rule for me though is to keep things low as possible and if possible near the center of vehicle. It will help with rollover angles. I don't follow my own advice though, as my rear end is WAY too heavy (spare, co2 tank, gas can, jack, shovel) and has caused some major tire lifts up front.

Noah

rusty_tlc said:
If you were going to add an additional 150# to an FJ40 where would be the best place to do it?

Why don't you just let her sit in the passenger seat? :princess: <-edit

Edit: Long ago on a usenet board some guy was asking about putting a 'wench' down on his bumper. A helpful responder suggested, "Aw, dude, it's xmas. Why don't you at least let her ride in the back with your dog?"

Last edited:
1973Guppie said:
yeah, it all depends on your makeup I guess, if you are light in the rear, put some weight in the rear. General rule for me though is to keep things low as possible and if possible near the center of vehicle. It will help with rollover angles. I don't follow my own advice though, as my rear end is WAY too heavy (spare, co2 tank, gas can, jack, shovel) and has caused some major tire lifts up front.

Noah
co2 will mount to the b pillar in the roll cage, I'm starting with 10# to cut weight.
Aux tank means no gas can
I'll probably put the spare, jack, and shovel on a rack though.
No HT either.

I'm also considering snow season, mud season and the commute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom