Week before Christmas- High Water Mark Trail in Ozarks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey,
I am currently planning on taking on the HWMT some time between Dec 18th-23rd or possibly 24th.
I'm planning on trying to complete the whole trail. I'm new to overlanding, and I figured this one would be a good start.
I'm packing my wife and two kids along. 4 and 6 year olds. We have a RTT, winch, and some basic winch recovery gear and a CB for communications.

I canoed the Buffalo two years ago and loved the area, so I'm looking forward to driving through and getting out and hiking some. The weather is probably going to be in the 30°s at night, we have good sleeping bags. I'll also be bringing a stove and a chainsaw. I feel I'm fairly equipped to handle most things that are to be expected on this trail.

The water levels seem to be on the lower side currently with not much rain predicted. From what I've seen there shouldn't be too many issues with river crossings as long as they don't get much rain. I'll be packing some chest waders to check depths and flow of the river on any questionable crossings.

If anyone has been before and knows the ropes it would be nice to have some sort of guide as I am a bit new to this all.

I'm flexible on the timing as well. I do enjoy a few beers and maybe a sip or two of bourbon, but mostly plan on keeping things fairly family friendly.

If you're interested in meeting up and taking a trip let me know!

Last edited:
A lot of that route is not the HWM trail. Are you going to run it N to S? The first half of that route (northern part) you posted is basically gravel roads and you will be fine.

Some of the second half I would recommend not doing alone unless you have at least a winch, recovery gear, sliders and 33" tires. Like you said water height can change drastically if there's rain before hand.

The Ozarks are beautiful and you will have a great time. There are plenty of trails around you can check out if you get to a section or crossing that looks challenging.

A lot of that route is not the HWM trail. Are you going to run it N to S? The first half of that route (northern part) you posted is basically gravel roads and you will be fine.

Some of the second half I would recommend not doing alone unless you have at least a winch, recovery gear, sliders and 33" tires. Like you said water height can change drastically if there's rain before hand.

The Ozarks are beautiful and you will have a great time. There are plenty of trails around you can check out if you get to a section or crossing that looks challenging.

Do you have a HWM GPX file? Or know where I can find one?

I have a winch...what kind of recovery gear would I need other than that? There are trees everywhere, right?

No 33s.....32s.
No sliders either.

Do you have a HWM GPX file? Or know where I can find one?

I have a winch...what kind of recovery gear would I need other than that? There are trees everywhere, right?

No 33s.....32s.
No sliders either.
Tree saver, d-rings/shackles, snatch block. Tires will be fine. There's lots of rocks around everyone...no sliders makes it a little more risky.

Tree saver, d-rings/shackles, snatch block. Tires will be fine. There's lots of rocks around everyone...no sliders makes it a little more risky.

Oh, I thought you meant like recovery boards, farm jacks, etc .

I have one snatch block, 4 shackles, two tree savers (for double-line pulls), 50' tow strap (in case my winch line isn't long enough), snatch strap, and leather gloves.
I also have the smittybilt winch shackle to use only closed system winching. And rubber floor mats for winch line dampers. Winch is 10,000 lb smittybilt x2O.

I've used it several times and feel pretty confident that short of getting swept away in a raging river, I should be able to get out of most things. Pulled it out of the middle of a ravine my brother took my LC.

I'm bringing waders, so anything that is questionable I'll walk before I drive through....it will be cold.

Sorry, as far as N to S I'm fairly flexible. My understanding is that one half is easier than the other. Depending on when we get there and what else we may want to do while on the area....I was thinking S to N. It'll shorten the drive up there (I'm coming from Louisiana) and if decide we have had enough we can hop off the trail and head back.

Sorry, as far as N to S I'm fairly flexible. My understanding is that one half is easier than the other. Depending on when we get there and what else we may want to do while on the area....I was thinking S to N. It'll shorten the drive up there (I'm coming from Louisiana) and if decide we have had enough we can hop off the trail and head back.
Wish I was not Vegas bound or I’d be joining you on this adventure

good luck and welcome to the area

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom