weber and o.e. air cleaner housing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.secretcompassonline.com
I'm hoping to find someone with some experience with this. I have a Weber 38 with a one piece adapter, the maf oe air cleaner adapter, and I'm using the original carb insulator under the one piece adaptor. I also pulled a air cleaner housing from a bone yard fj60.

Problem is the maf adapter sits way too high, like a good inch higher than the air cleaner wants it to be. I was able to put some spacers under the air cleaner so it would line up, but this is not a good solution - its too close to the hood.

I'm going to call maf and see what they say, but I'm hoping someone here has rigged one of these up. One their website it says you may need a one piece adapter to get the height necessary to make it all work, but it seems to me the only way to do it is to lose the insulator and use a two piece adapter. And I don't want to do that.

I'm wondering if all 2f's use the same air cleaner or if this setup only works with a 40?

Fwiw I have to smog this truck so it needs to look oe. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.

well, for those who are interested Colorado is nothing like Cali when it comes down to emissions. A weber is just fine out here, as are aftermarket air cleaners. The only thing required is AIR and EGR, and the tech told me they only look for that stuff, they don't test it. So I have a dummy AIR and EGR setup, gutted pump, etc. But fortunately I don't need to deal with this factory air cleaner crap.

So pm me if you want a fj60 air cleaner assembly and/or the maf 2f/weber oe air cleaner adapter.

Sorry I missed this thread before.

If you are running the stock insulator and MAF's one piece Billet aluminum adapter to mount the Weber then it is going to be too high. Their adapter has a vacuum port that you can use in place of the original port.

Take off the stock insulator so you have the intake, the billet one piece, the weber, then the O.E. air cleaner adapter. Should be the perfect height. Because the inch you are talking about is how thick the stock insulator is.

I like the O.E. air cleaner I never had any problems with it, but I'm happy with the aftermarket filter I have on now.

Good news about SMOG in your state, I don't have any down here in good ol' Texas. They just check for a catalytic converter haha.

So did it pass the emissions test with a dummy EGR and air pump?
Boulder might be a little more tight, not sure.

Don't be tempted to run the stupid little square air cleaner that is so frequently seen on Webers. I proved it to be too small and restrictive for a 2F. My old 22R did just fine with it. K&N makes an adapter to run a regular air cleaner on a Weber. I think you can fit a 10" chrome One Size Fits All air cleaner form any parts store on it. (The bigger 14" units get too close to the master cylinder) That and a good element and you will be fine

I've got a 10" round universal on the way. right now i'm back on the weber original one and i can't tell a difference between it and the oe i just had on there.

i don't know about the MAF... maybe I had a weird air cleaner but i needed a good inch plus, and that insulator is more like 1/2" maybe 3/4" (just had it off) and you want to be running the insulator don't you?? idk...

yeah i like that Colorado pretty much cares about the tailpipe and not much else. i didn't actually go through the test yet - i feel i need some more tuning (lehiguy you were right I can get leaner on my idle jets, 45's in now and i'm gonna try smaller...) but I called up air care colorado and talked directly to a tech and explained everything i had on the truck. boulder should be the same i think the standards are the same across the state. he told me a weber was fine, feedback carbs are the only ones that are required to remain on cars. said they'll look for EGR, AIR, and the air tube going to the cat. i asked him if they test those things and he said no.

You'll notice a difference between the open 10" element and the OE air cleaner. The crossover section to the carb is very narrow hence restrictive.

I am not running the stock insulator, it isn't necessary with the Weber. Change the carb, then set up a functioning vacuum line route. Thats what I did.

Here is my set-up:

DSC01097.jpg

DSC01095.jpg

If you want to get the Weber to work with the OE air cleaner just post up some photos.

Feel free to post your engine now though :D

ummmm mines not clean enough yet to post! i have my evap system hooked up still so i don't mind the insulator. although if it ever starts leaking i'll get rid of it. (if there's still enough room for the air rail and the cleaner.) and yeah i was thinking that crossover section looked shady on the o.e. i'll be happy to have the 10" on there.

heres an ealier set up with the two pc adpters and oem cleaner....with the oem spacer.
and the current setup with one pc adpter and parts house ten inch cleaner.
2Fa.jpg
2Fc.JPG

Last edited:
Is the pc (what is pc?) adapter used to put a 10" on the oem aisin carb?
heres an ealier set up with the two pc adpters and oem cleaner....with the oem spacer.
and the current setup with one pc adpter and parts house ten inch cleaner.

Is the pc (what is pc?) adapter used to put a 10" on the oem aisin carb?

pc = piece

I don't know of any adapters that you can buy to put an open element on the AISIN carburetor, I bet you could make one though.

The two piece adapter is used between the Weber and the stock insulator along with the weber to OE air cleaner adapter to get the right height.

I'm hoping to find someone with some experience with this. I have a Weber 38 with a one piece adapter, the maf oe air cleaner adapter, and I'm using the original carb insulator under the one piece adaptor. I also pulled a air cleaner housing from a bone yard fj60.

Problem is the maf adapter sits way too high, like a good inch higher than the air cleaner wants it to be. I was able to put some spacers under the air cleaner so it would line up, but this is not a good solution - its too close to the hood.

I'm going to call maf and see what they say, but I'm hoping someone here has rigged one of these up. One their website it says you may need a one piece adapter to get the height necessary to make it all work, but it seems to me the only way to do it is to lose the insulator and use a two piece adapter. And I don't want to do that.

I'm wondering if all 2f's use the same air cleaner or if this setup only works with a 40?

Fwiw I have to smog this truck so it needs to look oe. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.
I know this is an old post but.......my solution was to take a Dremel cutting wheel and cut the carb spacer out of the manifold insulator, that way you can use the insulator and not space the carb too high. My issue of today is that the machined aluminum spacer+the Weber 38+the factory air cleaner adapter (all from MAF) put the top about 1" too high on my 2F, I mean it is off by a lot, and I have not done anything to make this happen. Original air cleaner, original intake manifold. etc. The math on those 3 pieces is wrong. I could space the whole air cleaner assembly up about 1", then the bolt on the side of the head would miss, but I think space to the hood would be okay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom