Washer pump wiring question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just received my new wiper switch all the way from Japan! It has a spade on the side of the switch That will activate the Washer fluid pump If you twist the knob. I don’t remember having a lead on my wire harness for this purpose. How can I run a wire to make my washer pump function?
On another note, my wipers stop wherever I turn the switch off. I’m certain this question has been asked 1 million times, but How the heck do I get my wipers to park themselves in the resting position? Mine is a 1971 fj40 with the wiper motor on top of the windshield

Where the 6 pin female wiper switch connector exits the main cowl harness, your 1971 should have a blue/yellow wire with a female spade terminal also. That blue/yellow wire plugs onto the lug on the switch. It runs from the switch to the wiper washer motor.
One thing to keep in mind: When you twist the knob to activate the washer pump, the blue/yellow wire gets GROUNDED. The wiper switch MUST be installed in the dash in order for the switch body to be grounded. If you try to test this with the switch just hanging, use a clip lead to ground the switch body to the truck body or the pump will not run when you twist the switch.

At the washer pump there are TWO BLue/Yellow wires. One has +12V on it and goes straight to the wiper fuse. This is a key switched fuse so the key must be on for the wiper washer motor to work. The other blue/yellow wire is the one from the wiper switch that gets grounded to make the washer motor run.

Got it.... thanks a ton. My mind keeps wanting to revert back to A switch that provides power when actuated.... not ground.

This is an invaluable resource: Wiper Wiring Science

I figured out my lack of two speeds with the help of this page. I think he addresses parking as well.

Thank you for that link, I finally solved the low speed problem with my wipers. Who’d of thought that the two wires were supposed to be swapped in the plug. Doesn’t make much sense but it works now.

Thanks @Coolerman for the research!

Thank you for that link, I finally solved the low speed problem with my wipers. Who’d of thought that the two wires were supposed to be swapped in the plug. Doesn’t make much sense but it works now.

Thanks @Coolerman for the research!
Coolerman knows all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom