WAS: FJ Cruiser pics, NOW: public land and trail blazing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TXbadlands, do you honestly think the government is actively looking for trails to shut down, that there is some evil man in a room with a map trying to screw all of us over??? I wish you would realize that it is people with attitudes like yours that attract attention from the government and those who would like to shut down trails. If you honestly think the government is out of hand, don't give them a reason to step in.

DBS311 said:
TXbadlands, do you honestly think the government is actively looking for trails to shut down, that there is some evil man in a room with a map trying to screw all of us over??? .

Actually, yes. There may an evil man in room but there is a movement going on right where the govt will close roads unless people come forward and claim them as viable roads. There are public hearings happening for the next few months in various part of California where the Forest Service and BLM will hear from the public on this issue. If your favorite road doesn't make it onto the master list it will be closed permanently. I will try and get the link and post it here so we can go to these meetings with map in hand and point out to the Forest Service which trails need to stay open. Check out the local BLM or Foerest Service website for info.

EAST TX FJ said:
Agreed to everything above except for Mr. Badlands. Next time you go wheelin make a responsible decission to stay on the trail and not tear it up. Also most of the time at the trailhead you might see this little sign that tells you to STAY ON THE TRAIL. :idea: Just a little bright idea you might want to follow.

I always stay on designated trails when a trail system is already in place, and I never tear up a trail. I have never exceeded 33" tires - the larger tires tear the $hit out of dirt trails when they are wet. So who is tearing up the trails? How about LC owners with 37" tires etc? :D

DBS311 said:
TXbadlands, do you honestly think the government is actively looking for trails to shut down, that there is some evil man in a room with a map trying to screw all of us over??? I wish you would realize that it is people with attitudes like yours that attract attention from the government and those who would like to shut down trails. If you honestly think the government is out of hand, don't give them a reason to step in.

Yeah I do, and I have seen that kind of action before. Not just with the Off road trails, but in other areas of our lives as well. This country is slowly moving towards a communist state. People I know who immigrated to the United States years ago to get away from communism have also commented to me that the US is turning communist. I say if the BLM gets out of hand closing trails to us, the US citizens, then we need to step up and tell them we will not comply. Eventually we will have a revolution on our hands, and maybe that is just what this country needs - a good government house cleaning and get the government back to where the PEOPLE are in control.

Are you from Texas? And you think that the United States is moving towards a communist nation? Are you kidding me?

If idiots like you wouldn't blaze your own trails or suggest it and then post it on the internet boards, we as wheelers wouldn't have the name we do. How many Sierra Club members do you think monitor these boards? It's the 2% of you that cause and force the USFS and BLM to lock gates because of your ignorance.

The majority of the wheelers are responsible wheelers that do follow the LAWS of this nation. Let me guess, because the government say's "don't fire a weapon into the air" or "don't drink or drive", you feel that your being controlled like a communist nation, right? I hear Iraq is looking for another leader...saddle up and blaza away where you and the people of that great region can do as you please; there's going to be a whole lotta trails and open area of desert when the U.S. finishes blowing the crap out of it!

TexasBadlands said:
Yeah I do, and I have seen that kind of action before. Not just with the Off road trails, but in other areas of our lives as well. This country is slowly moving towards a communist state. People I know who immigrated to the United States years ago to get away from communism have also commented to me that the US is turning communist. I say if the BLM gets out of hand closing trails to us, the US citizens, then we need to step up and tell them we will not comply. Eventually we will have a revolution on our hands, and maybe that is just what this country needs - a good government house cleaning and get the government back to where the PEOPLE are in control.

Last edited by a moderator:
The deadline for the SBNF route designation was July 31.
:cheers:
kellymoe said:
Actually, yes. There may an evil man in room but there is a movement going on right where the govt will close roads unless people come forward and claim them as viable roads. There are public hearings happening for the next few months in various part of California where the Forest Service and BLM will hear from the public on this issue. If your favorite road doesn't make it onto the master list it will be closed permanently. I will try and get the link and post it here so we can go to these meetings with map in hand and point out to the Forest Service which trails need to stay open. Check out the local BLM or Foerest Service website for info.

If you think this country is turning towards communism, then you really don't understand communism at all. Please, do this country a favor and move to another country that will give you a better life. Surely there is one out there.

Also, explain your reasoning behind the idea that a 37" tire will destroy a trail more than a 33" tire. My footprint is just as large (or small, depending on how you look at it) as a 33x12.50. In fact, a lot of time I don't need to spin my tires to clear an obstacle when compared with smaller tires.

Every time you post TBL, I can only wonder if you have ever really been off-roading. Just look at TiSilver's pics and pretend it is you.

TexasBadlands said:
No fee required - it is PUBLIC LAND. New trails CAN be blazed responsibly to the chagrin of some earth firsters on here. Errosion is going to happen anyway- it's just misplaced dirt.

You backpeddle then you dig your hole even deeper. :rolleyes:

As kellymoe pointed out, the "misplaced dirt" from your newly blazed trail is very likely to go right through an archealogical site in most places throughout the Southwest. One of the members of our local club is an archeaoligist and you would be amazed at how many times we will spot sites close to current trails. He can spot them where the site may look like "misplaced dirt" to others. Many times we'll stop along the trail for lunch or whatever and he'll walk off to an innocuous looking area and call us over to find thousands of pot shards and flint sites. Then he will describe when and how they used the area hundreds of years ago. These are unexplored, undisturbed sites that future generations will explore with technology that hasn't been invented yet.... unless idiots like TBL go plowing through the site "blazing" a new trail because, by damn it's his God given right and no earth huggin' bureaucrat is gonna tell him he kain't do sumthin' he wants to do.

This "misplaced dirt" is also cryptobiotic soil, or fragile tundra, you idiot. Read up on it. 200 years from now it will still be trying to recover from your "newly blazed" trail that is just begging you to come drive over it. Right on.... it's again your God given right to do whatever you want with that "dirt."

You really, really need to educate yourself before you shoot off your mouth any more. You are an embaressment to the 4wd hobby.

-B-

Cruiserdrew said:
Please stay in Texas. Your attitude is earily similar to Rusty Shackleford (also a Texan) or whatever his name was, who thought he had a right to crap in heavily used woods anywhere he wanted, EVEN THOUGH this issue is being used to close trails all over the West.

Especially in California, but in all the Western states, the pressures to close trails are huge. Idiot attitudes about "blazing" new trails, or more likely, and more destructively, blazing alternative routes on existing trails are a certain way to get ALL of our favorite trails shut down permanently.

Don't take this the wrong way, but grow up and learn to consider the consequences of your actions before you get that bad*ss FJC off the road and off the trail.:rolleyes:

Please do not associate this idiot (texasbadlands) with the rest of the folks in Texas. I agree with NONE of his viewpoints.

EAST TX FJ said:
Agreed to everything above except for Mr. Badlands. Next time you go wheelin make a responsible decission to stay on the trail and not tear it up. Also most of the time at the trailhead you might see this little sign that tells you to STAY ON THE TRAIL. :idea: Just a little bright idea you might want to follow.

texasbadlands does not go offroad.

DBS311 said:
If you think this country is turning towards communism, then you really don't understand communism at all. Please, do this country a favor and move to another country that will give you a better life. Surely there is one out there.

Also, explain your reasoning behind the idea that a 37" tire will destroy a trail more than a 33" tire. My footprint is just as large (or small, depending on how you look at it) as a 33x12.50. In fact, a lot of time I don't need to spin my tires to clear an obstacle when compared with smaller tires.

Every time you post TBL, I can only wonder if you have ever really been off-roading. Just look at TiSilver's pics and pretend it is you.

A 37" tire will dig out of the mud deeper than a 33" tire. How many times have I come across a trail that had ruts so deep from other guys with their monster tires digging to china and we with smaller tires straddle around them (creating MORE errosion for your information)???

TexasBadlands said:
I always stay on designated trails when a trail system is already in place, and I never tear up a trail. I have never exceeded 33" tires - the larger tires tear the $hit out of dirt trails when they are wet. So who is tearing up the trails? How about LC owners with 37" tires etc? :D

Prove it.... I don't see how a larger tire would do more damage to the trail. Most rigs with large tires have experienced drivers with well equipped vehicles and understand the term, tread lightly.

Im new to offroading myself but I have enough sense Public Land doesnt mean Im the only one that has use with it (without regard to others). And theres only so much Tax dollars to make "Public" free - I went to a Public University and I still had to pay tuition.

Is this what offroading is all about in your part of the woods? :eek:

TisilverFJ said:
A friend and I finally ran Carnage in Boulder CO. They (Boulder) are going to close this trail soon. I'm glad I had a diff skid and wish my sliders were done. A-trac performed flawless and worked better than having the rear diff locked. Luckily half way up the trail we ran into two other (really nice) guys that have been running that trail for years and gave us alot of good advice on how to get through some tuff sections. After bending my lower control arm and using the body/frame as a pivot point I can't wait till my tires wear out. Then I can go to 35's.

TiSilverFJ, nice pics and a great post. Keep posting pics of your FJC... maybe in a new thread :D

For factual information on trails and our government, the BLUE RIBBON COALITION has alot of information on it. If you are really interested in putting your money where your mouth is, join the BRC (or get active in local trail maintence & policy).

Tho the topic of trail closure and effects of large tires is very informative, esp. to newbie offroaders, lets keep it civil.

fj40charles said:
Please do not associate this idiot (texasbadlands) with the rest of the folks in Texas. I agree with NONE of his DUMB ASS viewpoints.

Charles-I meant in no way to way to imply all Texans were foolish yahoos like Texasbadlands. I apologize to you and all responsible Texans if you took it that way. I know there are many clubs and individuals there working to keep trails open, and to keep the riff-raff out. I met the whole Texas group in Moab two years ago-nice fellas to a man.

Unfortunately, the fools are everywhere, and all too often associated with off-roading. We should all be working to disprove that stereotype. I'll bet one day texasbadlands will realize that. I hope it isn't too late.

Cruiserdrew said:
Charles-I meant in no way to way to imply all Texans were foolish yahoos like Texasbadlands. I apologize to you and all responsible Texans if you took it that way. I know there are many clubs and individuals there working to keep trails open, and to keep the riff-raff out. I met the whole Texas group in Moab two years ago-nice fellas to a man.

Unfortunately, the fools are everywhere, and all too often associated with off-roading. We should all be working to disprove that stereotype. I'll bet one day texasbadlands will realize that. I hope it isn't too late.

No offense taken Andrew.. I know you were not trying to offend all Texans... I wanted to make sure that I distanced myself from texasbadlands. I don't want his comment/opinions to reflect how 99.9999999999% of Texans feel. Some people just have a way of pi$$ing everyone off and make themselves look like a total donkey in the process.

Every state has their share of budweiser drinkin' dumb a$$ red necks that makes all of responsible 4 wheelers look bad.

first off, even though i've found very few texans that aren't igorant (most are on this forum), you aren't among them, and you should be shot.

second, the boys (like txbadlands) are doing extreme damage that it takes backhoes, massive amounts of manpower, lots of money, and tns of hours in environmental impact studies by various agencies.

third, carnage currently runs through a watershed.

fourth, if you read the lefthand canyon decision, you'll find that a replacement trail is being considered to replace carnage canyon.

go back to the rover world where you belong

When I go off-road, I'm out there not only for the challenge of off-roading, but for the beauty of the surrounding land. The last thing I want to do is go all the way out there to look at a bunch of land torn up by numb nuts who decided to blaze their own trails. These type of people have no appreciation for nature. They are also the same people who run with little or no engine muffling, so no one else can enjoy the serenity of the back country. I'm glad the FJ TRD Exhaust is not suitable for off-road use due to its outlet right behind the rear tire, because even that is pushing the limits of irresponsibility in the back country. One off-road motorcycle magazine has a saying, "Loud mufflers = closed trails". I'll add this, "Tread heavy = closed trails".

Michael

TexasBadlands said:
A 37" tire will dig the crap out of the mud deeper than a 33" tire. Are you stupid, or just ignorant? How many times have I come across a trail that had ruts so deep from other guys with their monster tires digging to china and we with smaller tires straddle around them (creating MORE errosion for your information)???

This HAS to be the most ignorant, assinine comment yet.

A 37" tire makes a BIGGER footprint. More square inches hitting the ground. So there is actually LESS PSI exerted on the ground, as your narrow 31" tires are supporting the same weight. A 37" tire aired down will FLOAT on the surface better than a 31.

I'd really like you to point to ONE study that shows bigger tires cause more damage. Just one.

nuclearlemon said:
go back to the rover world where you belong

Hey!!! We have enough yahoos already in the rover world we dont need anymore.
I've been lurking over here trying to build up the nerve to buy a Toyota again. But there is no way in heck I'm getting rid of my Rover, I need a capable daily driver that gets better MPG than my 8-10 I get with my Rover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom