Warn 8274 inspection/service (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I own two 8274's. On sits on the front of CJ5, it as a new in box 1987 vintage, that I picked off of Craig's about 20 years ago. It needed nothing, and has seen zero use. I have it wired for inside controls with the plug in as a backup.

The last 8274, got a total rebuild.
Simple to do with basic hand tools. I have it mounted on a portable (is an 8274 really portable?), mount:

It has 100' (actually closer to 92') of 1/2" synthetic rope, which helps reduce the weight some.

A great thing about the 8274, is that most of the parts are available from Warn. Used parts are also somewhat easy to locate. It's simple and fast. If you've got the urge, it can also be 'hot rodded' with a bigger motor(s).

I blame Flintknapper and a few others on his forum for my 8274 addiction....

I rebuilt a 8274 that I got cheap last year and also decided to upgrade the contactor. I found the Albright to be hard to find at the time due to overseas shipping so I bought a Temco one, turned out to be rated for slightly higher duty and a lot cheaper to my door. It seems to be less than $50 on amazon now Zon link
As far as the old switch not working just take it apart, its super simple, and probably a loose connection or broken wire. And if it is the switch its a pretty generic three position switch that shouldn't be hard to find for a couple bucks.

@MontyFJ80 how are you liking the Temco contactor?

@MontyFJ80 how are you liking the Temco contactor?
I have liked it a lot, it has worked every time and for one serious uphill full length pull without issue and about 30 minor pulls. I have mounted it inside the grille so that its hard to tamper with, which is nice. It doesn't seem to get hot or care about water. I don't see going back to the old style at all.

I have liked it a lot, it has worked every time and for one serious uphill full length pull without issue and about 30 minor pulls. I have mounted it inside the grille so that its hard to tamper with, which is nice. It doesn't seem to get hot or care about water. I don't see going back to the old style at all.

Great, do you have any pics of how it’s wired? I can find plenty of examples for Albright or superwinch but I don’t find much info on these Temcos.

Great, do you have any pics of how it’s wired? I can find plenty of examples for Albright or superwinch but I don’t find much info on these Temcos.
It has the same wiring, just the layout is a little different. Also the box and unit itself is covered in diagrams for wiring, impossible to miss. My winch was so old that it had a 3 wire controller which is not on the common albright diagrams around but was easy enough to figure out.

It has the same wiring, just the layout is a little different. Also the box and unit itself is covered in diagrams for wiring, impossible to miss. My winch was so old that it had a 3 wire controller hich is not on the common albright diagrams around but was easy enough to figure out.

Mine is also a 3 wire controller. Bought the winch new in 1983, they were less than $400.00 back then. No telling how many hours (days) of use I have on it.

Not sure when they went to the 5 wire.

Not sure when they went to the 5 wire.

When they went from the metal to the plastic controller plug/socket? Though that was supposedly about 1980. Which does yours have, and what is the date code on yours (maybe it sat on the shelf for a few years before you bought it)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom