Virginia Bumper laws (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Where in Richmond ?? was it in Henrico County ?? they are notorious for pulling people over when other counties usually will let you slide (tint, bumper height, exhaust pipe) as a precursor in hoping to find other things (drugs/guns)

wow that sucks bad!! They dont really have laws like that In SC thank goodness! Might succed again if they try that kind of stuff or even emissions :) j/k but it wouldnt make many happy thats for sure.

reffug said:
This adds new food for thought with my contemplation of going to Slee's 6" lift for my 80.:doh:

Very true.

FWIW, there was a kid at my local highschool who drove a 10 inch lifted Hummer H2 on 39's:princess:.....its retarded. He always keeps a massive drop hitch. Cruises around town all night long and has never gotten in trouble.

Virginia is a police state. Going back after 27 years there are so damn many police you figure you must have done something...

Quote from Henrico Co officer:

"Boy, yer in Henrico County now..."

You can just hear the music...

Got the complete story, he got ticketed for not having Va tags yet, and a warnign for the bumper height......according to him it falls within the limits if he registers it as a truck.......but not as a passenger car....gotta love Texas......
Butch

Ok -- so, they pulled J over for the bumper -- measured 22" in front and 27" in rear. They said technically, the 80 is considered a "passenger car" and not a truck, so the bumper regs for Truck on their website don't apply for the 80. They ticketed him for expired DL...warning for bumper height and for CO tags (we still have 45 days to get it done in VA)

For those who know Richmond, it was in the beautiful West End at Parham and Three Chopt -- Henrico County...UGH.

On Dec 23rd, the whale got broken into outside of our house in Henrico County and the cops came over and told him -- sorry -- and oh, by the way -- how long have you had the vehicle...don't you know you only have 60 days to get the tags changed? Where is your current insurance card, etc.

I am NOT enjoying my time in VA right now....:mad: :censor:

apcoleman said:
I know of a few ricers that have been pulled over due to these laws but none of my friends that have trucks nor I have had a single problem with the local cops. It could be that I have just been lucky, but I think that with only a 2.5" OME and 285s, that it doesnt look that high so they just leave me alone.

I know he wasn't driving crazy b/c I was right behind him in our dodge....

Kalifornia only allows 10 days for the tags IIRC!

It's a truck out here, but each state can be different. We were told it was being registered as a truck in '94 to avoid the Federal luxury tax that passenger cars were being hit with.

VA sucks calling this beast a car! Do the register Suburbans, 4Runners, Blazers, etc as cars also?

krisfj40 said:
For those who know Richmond, it was in the beautiful West End at Parham and Three Chopt -- Henrico County...UGH.

I am NOT enjoying my time in VA right now....:mad: :censor:

Kris,

Just remember that is only Henrico County. They are notorious for that kind of :censor: . Most of the rest of the state is quite peaceful and not nearly so anal retentive.

reffug

Kris,
I was pulled over on I64 at 6:30 am and frisked on the side of the road while driving the 4runner. I admit I had just install new rea springs and was only 7 1/2 inches over the limit.( 37.5 inches) I quickly made a drop down bracket for both front and rear bumpers, switch to a larger tire and have not been pulled since. The ticket is about $70 and does not go on your record. You can not beat it in court so if you get one just pay it. If your tags and county decal are in good shape you should be ok. I have found the larger the tire or less room between the top of the tire and fender well the better. With your gvw I do not think the bumper height ticket would hold up in court.

Rob

Brentbba said:
VA sucks calling this beast a car! Do the register Suburbans, 4Runners, Blazers, etc as cars also?

The funny thing about this is that the decal fees I pay to Henrico County for my Cruisers are $25 and for my car $20. I always assumed the difference was because the county classified it as a truck. Maybe it's just an "SUV" fee but still considered a car for bumper purposes.:eek:

Nay said:
Virginia is a police state. Going back after 27 years there are so damn many police you figure you must have done something...

Quote from Henrico Co officer:

"Boy, yer in Henrico County now..."

You can just hear the music...

So true of a statement !!!! But i had a judge in Henrico county ask me "what are you doing in my county? When you reside in Chesterfield? "

Really wanted to say, didn't know i needed a effin passport to cross county lines...But didn't....however i won my case (CCW charge) anyways cause it was an illegal stop/search of vehicle !!! Was a BOLO for a pickup truck and i was in a black maxima...sometimes good to overhear the prosecutor ask the cop what type of vehicle was in the BOLO....

Woohoo.. judge was pissed that the only question i had for the cop was what type of vehicle was in the BOLO..so no probable cause to stop me.....

The Whale is not even that tall.

pics

In IL, all the Cruisers are carryalls. In MI they were station wagons, along with vans with side windows.

My 80 tore up an Accord at less than 5 mph, but so did my stock height T-100 2wd She drove under the truck and hit the diff at about 45 mph.

My brother had a C10 on 44s with 12" of lift. His rear bumper was HUGE. It dropped down to damn near stock height at the lowest point. Dumb ass laws.

what about a lowered sport truck with no bumber mods. just lowered and trying to go to a truck show in va

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom