Vintage A/C question? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

more
Picture 058.jpg
Picture 060.jpg
Picture 061.jpg

so? How'd you get Jeff to come in to help!
Awesome pics and info..
Under the orange is the ac line (one of em?) then under the expansion valve is the other.. water goes in the 2 black caps right?
Any way you could give us some info from the manual? Like the
blend? that mix from floor to vent to defrost? just trying to get ideas. Would like to use the stock defrost ducts on my 45. The 4 front vents are only dash from what I was reading, rear has the heat and defrost? you just gonna have the head go down that back panel of the unit or use the"remote heat" thing? Didn't find info on that yet.
Keep up the photo's of the instal.. the Ac part isn't quite for the "hardcore" forum!

while i'm asking questions condenser? you using single pass or parallel flow for better cooling? or just using the stock 80 series one?

Yea, Jeff drove down from Colorado to help...Not really, he's down for Christmas and came by drop off parts.
I am using a parallel flow that Classic sells. It works well in my Riviera so it should do fine in the Cruiser.
The blend is a control from vents to defrost yes. It is completely controlable with compressor on for defrost also. 2 of the rears have there own downspout already mounted on the back of the unit for heat so no hoses are necesssary. The other 2 are for defrost which I will run up to the factory vent holes. There are 4 mounting plates on the rear also to make things really easy to mount on a flat surface. I will take another of the back tomorrow.
G

I'm kinda with Erik when he says he wants to use the stock defroster ducts, I would like to do so also.

Gary, does classic auto air make boots that make a hard 90 degree right out of the unit, or you just make the 90 with the hose? I have there catalog I got a couple days ago and I don't see any in there, so kinda figuring you just use the hose.

I'm kinda getting a vision on how I want to install this unit and use the stock defrost ducts. There is a brace almost dead center underneath the dash. It looks as though it was designed to reinforce the area where the 4 wheel drive lever was. I'm kinda thinking if this brace was removed you could slide the unit up underneath the dash, but only to the wide point of the unit. So basicly the vents would be underneath the dash and about 6 or 7 inches would be hanging below. You wouldn't have to take the entire glove box out, but you would have to relief an area because the hoses would have to go through there and they would be that high. I would cut a hole anyway to bring a duct to the right side of the vehicle.

Probably make a plate that mounts to the 4 stock heat holes on the firewall that makes a mounting point a tad wider on the firewall so that you could mount the cooler II to the plate and still use the 4 stock threaded holes on the firewall.

I guess the disadvantage to this is that 6 to 7 inches of plastic hang down. The plus is you get to use the stock defroster ducts and don't have to remove the entire glove box, but a few hoses will have to run through there.

I suppose a decoritive panel could be made to hang down and cover the plastic up, although I don't think it would look to bad because it's not that low and not that long, and also no hoses showing.

Just an idea?

Matt
Mvc-002s.jpg
Mvc-003s.jpg
Mvc-004s.jpg

Last edited:
generic shot of the dash
Mvc-001s.jpg

Here is a picture of the back with a set of the 90 degree heater ducts attached. I will check today if Classic has any upwards pointing defrost ducts, but I think that you will have to use hose and make a 90. I too am using the stock defrost holes but am making attachment ducts to run the 2" hose to.

If you move the unit over towards the center without removing the brace, it will hang down under the dash some but will make the install much easier. Since I removed the brace and made a flat firewall, it allows me to get the unit all the way up inside the dash with onlty 2-3" being seen.

My picture is not that great but you can see that Classic has 4 mounting tabs with tabbed nuts to mount the unit, so making a bracket to mount to factory holes shold be easy. The mounts are designed to allow the unit to be mounted flush against a flat surface.

Regardless on how some will mount this unit, it is really cool to have someone make such a small efficient AC/heat system that doesn't look like dealer add on air.

I am going to use the stock 80 series compressor and to answer your question Matt, yes you can get whatever size condensor you want and Classic's kit comes with the billet control and 4 vents. I bought the aluminum vents and they were somewhat pricey at $40 ea. but I get a little carried away sometimes. Because I have bought so many systems from them lately, I buy on a dealer program now so if anyone wants a kit , let me know. A ball park $ is about $500 for the all electronic evaporator. Condensor and hose kit runs about $225 and includes nice 2" round or rectangular vents, and the billet all electric controls. There are lots of options so look at Classic on their website.

Matt, I PM'd you on $.
Picture 062.jpg

http://www.intakehoses.com/
Might be a place to adapt the defrost ducting. Going from Oval to round might need just a plain ol flex hose type of duct and a reducer from a plumbing section or the intakehoses place..
This is good stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom