Vibration? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Granite Grinder

IH8RUST
Threads
Took Red for a spin, had a very nasty vibration I thought maybe the transmission was packing it in. I never serviced the u-joints since buying this truck, though we've only had her a couple of years and summer only driving.

if you grease those things they last forever

if you grease those things they last forever
I heard that. This entire truck needs to be baselined, so far a knuckle rebuild is the only thing that's happened. Not easy maintaining two Land Cruisers, last year the 80 got a lot of attention.

I feel your pain. Very new to the FJ80 ownership club. About 1000 miles under my belt. I too have a vibration in mine....a mechanic rode with me and said wheel bearing...I don't think its a wheel bearing (i've had bad bearings on other cars, just does't sound the same)...front driveshaft has play (not to the extent of the above). The vibration feels like a bad set of tire, but its not tires (Michelin LTX M/S). You can hear the vibration, its a hum associated with speed, noise plains out at 55mph.
Doesn't seem to be getting worse or better. Any help is appreciated.

Any thoughts?
Do y'all think its you joints?

Is the vibration more pronounced when deccellerating? (i.e. when you immediately let off the throttle?). If so, it's likely the U-joints.

It's not complicated of a repair, but if you've never taken u-joints out, it helps to watch someone do it as there is a bit of a technique to it.

:beer:

Is the vibration more pronounced when deccellerating? (i.e. when you immediately let off the throttle?). If so, it's likely the U-joints.

It's not complicated of a repair, but if you've never taken u-joints out, it helps to watch someone do it as there is a bit of a technique to it.

:beer:
It does change pitch....not significantly. I have replaced u-j's in the past...so I feel confident in the process. These fj's tend to have peculiarities, from what I read. So good to know it's an easy fix. Thanks for the advice. Probably the cheapest attempt at fixing it....

After driving for a while feel for heat on all your bearings ,yokes , and each u joint cup by hand . Sometime it's one dry cup. Front d/s splines get a little dry and loose spline too.

I needed to replace a u-joint in the new to me FZJ80 in the front. It was revealed by a slight vibration, not quite like the vibes the 62 was exerting

+1 for the loose splines on the drive shaft(s) suggestion... grease the crap out of the slip joints to see if it changes the vibration...

Last edited:
looks shot to me. You hear a ting when you shift I bet, or a clunk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom