Vibration at 55-65 when accelerating after new CVs (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So i have been searching on here and all over the web but i am not seeing the same issues...

Anyways about a month ago i took my 2006 LC in to get the CVs and axles replaced because the boots were cracking and it wasn't much more than just replacing the boots. I usually do this stuff myself but i have entered into a busy phase of life. when I took it in they also suggested I have the press in bearings replaced. so i had them do it all. When i picked it up it had a terrible vibration when accelerating 50 mph and up. it was really bad in 4th at about 3000rpms.

So I took it back and they said it couldn't be the New CVs to they checked "everything" and they found both drive shafts needed new U joints. So this was all reworked.

When I got it back it now vibrates at about 55 to 65 mph when accelerating. it seems to go away after 65mph. it is not near as bad but it is strong enough it can rattle coins in the cup holder. it is probably half the vibration i had before.

It seems weird that replacing the CVs started all of this if the Drive shafts caused some of this. Anyways i am needing some direction. Does it seem like this is something faulty CVs could cause?

Some vehicle info:
2006 LC
140k miles

Thanks!

Were the CVs aftermarket?

Earlier this year, I replaced the front cv axles on my 01 ES300 with new reman autozone units (Duralast) and I had the same issue but at different speeds. Between 35-55mph the shake was unbearable. I don't think I was brave enough to drive faster than that with fear of it messing something up.

So I took it to the Lexus dealer my brother works at, his mechanics put it up on the lift and one of them was inside the car. Put it in drive, gave it some gas and got the wheels up to speed.... those autozone axles were like figure 8's. Complete and utter junk. I had new Lexus remans installed at the dealer and it drives like brand new again.

I am not sure what brand they used.

When you said "axles were just a little more than the boots" i had a hunch you went with non-oem CVs, many have had issues with non OEM CVs, my boots are torn too so i just bought the OEM boot to reboot it. I hope they didn't throw away your OEM CVs, now that it's out, you can reboot it and find one weekend to put them back on.

Absolutely NO aftermarket cv axle , especially Autozone reman. Just get Toyota reman or new cv shaft and safe your time and hassle unless you like to experiment caressing different CV shaft!! Lol

I am not sure what brand they used.

Doesn't sound like OEM to me. Cutting corners using aftermarket parts for Toyota vehicles is frowned upon around here for good reason. Generally, if you are using an indie mechanic in the future, the best bet is to source your OEM parts online and take them to your mechanic for installation. I recently had both my CV's replaced with OEM and I have no vibration issues. Not cheap though!

I would double check those driveshafts, something may still be off. I would first go underneath and give everything a good tug until you find something loose.

If you had no vibrations before replacing the CV joints it seems likely the problem is with the new CV joints. The U-joints were probably a wild goose chase unless you failed to grease them regularly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom