Velcro alternatives for 3rd Row Seat Straps?

The Velcro on on of my 3rd row seat straps is worn out and not holding anymore. Obviously, I can use a stitch-ripper to remove it, and a sewing machine to sew new Velcro in place. However, it will eventually wear out again.

I've seen people on here talking about using snaps on the strap instead, but those aren't adjustable, so as things stretch over time, the strap might become loose again. Toyota used Velcro for a reason, I'm guessing. I suppose I could install multiple snaps, close together, like the holes on a belt, to allow adjustment in the future.

Does anyone have any experience with alternatives to Velcro that don't wear out? Maybe Dual Lock or Duotec? The "loop" (fuzzy) part is what wears out. These alternatives have mushroom-shaped hooks that connect to each other, so there are no fuzzy loops to wear out.

BUT.... has anyone seen a sewable version of these Velcro alternatives? I wouldn't want to trust pressure-sensitive adhesive in this application.

Maybe like this stuff, which has a plain back, and can be sewn on?

Oh, another question is how flexible this stuff is, because the straps get rolled up for stowage...

Cam buckles are a great idea! I was thinking of putting some sort of spring-loaded clamp mid-strap, like what you might use to hold a potato chip bag closed, but I thought it would look cheesy. Cam buckles would look good.

Do you have a link for a suggested make/model of buckle that works well? Or for what you used?

"Passage 2: Back From the Grave" is slated to be released on April 1, 2021. Instead of being 5 minutes long and costing $1, it will be 5 hours long and cost $50.

nukegoat

Should have bought a Jeep
SILVER Star
Cam buckles are a great idea! I was thinking of putting some sort of spring-loaded clamp mid-strap, like what you might use to hold a potato chip bag closed, but I thought it would look cheesy. Cam buckles would look good.

Do you have a link for a suggested make/model of buckle that works well? Or for what you used?

"Passage 2: Back From the Grave" is slated to be released on April 1, 2021. Instead of being 5 minutes long and costing $1, it will be 5 hours long and cost $50.
You're awesome.

For cam buckles, there are more bad ones on the market than I care to admit I'm aware of. You will not be disappointed with these but I'm not sure if the width is appropriate for the third row:

You're awesome.

For cam buckles, there are more bad ones on the market than I care to admit I'm aware of. You will not be disappointed with these but I'm not sure if the width is appropriate for the third row:

After seeing this post I pulled a NRS loop strap I had and what do you know it fit. I removed all the velcro parts, removed the metal button stopper, removed all of the sewing that prevented the OEM plastic spring hook from coming off. Loop the cam buckle around the grab handle then pull the OEM strap through the cam buckle and pull to tighten. The blue NRS strap bugged me because it's a different color than the factory strap so I bought grey one's online. Only one of mine were bad but I did the same thing to the other side so they match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom