Vehicle Options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

06 470. It’s been a great vehicle and I’ve taken it on many 5 hour one way/ 300 mile trips to the Ozarks. It’s currently sits at 201,000 miles. But now my wander lust has grown and I want to start going on some farther expeditions. I’m thinking Utah/ Colorado/ Wyoming maybe even Canada. These will all be 1000-1500 miles/ 18 to 30 hour one way adventures.
I KNOW this is the Land Cruiser forum, but wanted to ask for some advice on vehicle choices. Get the 470 running as best I can, replace any wear parts etc, or look for a lower mileage rig- if the lower mileage option- 200 Series? Tacoma? 4Runner? Jeep?
Thanks .

I don't know anything about a 470. But IMHO the best choice is a known over an unknown. You have a long history with the vehicle. Anything you would buy you have no history with. There's nothing to suggest that it's going to fall apart just cause it rolled 200k.

I know a guy that won't buy a vehicle with less than 100k on it. "Let someone else get the bugs out of it." he says.

Probably best to go up to the 100 (?) Series sub forum and ask about common weak points and upgrades. Address those and you should be good.

And if your objective is to be left on the side of the trail in the middle of nowhere then get the Jeep.

Ha on the Jeep. That’s what I’ve heard. I have been on the 100 series forum for awhile now and while a great resource on that series and as with any forum sometimes it’s hard to find a unbiased opinion. Also, most people on there who are gearing up on a “epic overland journey” only end up a couple of hundred miles from the house.
I think I’m going to do some P/M to some known issues and hit the road.
Not being from the Mountain West could someone tell me when the snows start shutting trails down and when they usually start opening back up? Hate to drive 1200 miles to have to turn around.

I'm from Colorado. You can get snow anytime, even the summer... Probably mid to late October is still safe but November gets a little sketchy.

I'd say go through your 470 and get the PM up to date. Timing belt and cooling system would be #1, IMO. I'd also replace all coils and spar plugs if they haven't been in the recent past. After that perhaps consider fuel pump. With the distances your planning to travel, I'd take some spare parts along too. A coil, alternator and CV come to mind as spare parts to carry. ( would consider carrying extra of those items for any rig I was planning to travel thousands of miles in, especially into remote areas.

If you're pickets are deep enough you could always consider moving into a 200 series, but that would take a substantial investment.

Just some quick thoughts for you to consider. Good luck in your adventures!

Keep the 470. Buy a small bob trailer for extras and consider a roof tent for
quick camps and security.

Most of us use these for pleasure/vacation - if that's its main purpose, you have to love it. If you don't love the 470 get something you do. If you do love it, there are few vehicles better suited to distance travel than a Landcruiser you know very well personally. Just got back from a ~5,000mi trip in my 80, can't imagine moving to a different platform.

470 is pretty darned good. Just fix it up. I did a 7000 km tril to Mexico in my 98 4runner. Odometer doesn't mean much with these vehicles.

Hello,

06 470. It’s been a great vehicle and I’ve taken it on many 5 hour one way/ 300 mile trips to the Ozarks. It’s currently sits at 201,000 miles. But now my wander lust has grown and I want to start going on some farther expeditions. I’m thinking Utah/ Colorado/ Wyoming maybe even Canada. These will all be 1000-1500 miles/ 18 to 30 hour one way adventures.
I KNOW this is the Land Cruiser forum, but wanted to ask for some advice on vehicle choices. Get the 470 running as best I can, replace any wear parts etc, or look for a lower mileage rig- if the lower mileage option- 200 Series? Tacoma? 4Runner? Jeep?
Thanks .

I drove my 100 to Panama and back. I covered 15,000 miles on that trip. The Cruiser weight was 7-8,000lbs.

One issue on the entire trip, a rear caliper started dragging. Fixed it on the side of the road.

Granted, I personally prepped the truck before the trip.

I carried two Jerry cans. I only used them in Baja.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom