Vapor Canisters for 80's (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.phalconoverland.com
I went the AC Delco route that had the in and out stacked and hooked up the vent tube to the right.

Which model ACDelco?

CP1022 or 215-153?

I used the VC120 from Autozone on the 62. Worked great. It the canister is slightly larger in diameter and I had to run longer bolts in the bracket. I've read the bracket is bigger in the 80 and would have the same issue.

Unfortunately the VC120 is no longer available from any retailer because everyone used it as a universal application. The AC Delco one above has very similar dimensions and will work.

I was thinking about taking mine apart like this...

I put an end to my Charcoal Canister problems for good!

I used the VC120 in my 60 (3FE'd) as well but they are impossible to find anywhere. In fact most sources have removed it from their websites.

I will likely go with the 215-153.

Frank

Strange - the link showed the filter at autozone when I posted - maybe a cookie glitch. Good to know there are still options.

If you get Autzone to show a quantity available, I will totally pay you back if you can get one. I see it comes up, but it is listed as not available. RockAuto and many others list no canister for our trucks.

Frank

I'm glad I bought mine a couple months ago. Looks like the supply is running low!!!

I picked up the 215 from RockAuto and will see how it goes.

No pictures but I followed guide above and drilled out the ball bearing in my vapor canister. Super easy. Ground off the outer lip on the canister with a flapper disc. Drill out the bearing with a 15/64" bit. Scuffed up the paint and re-assembled with some SteelStik putty. Because I only removed the outer lip the top went back on like a press fit. A little paint and good to go!

Nice work!!!

If you get Autzone to show a quantity available, I will totally pay you back if you can get one. I see it comes up, but it is listed as not available. RockAuto and many others list no canister for our trucks.

Frank

I'm glad I bought mine a couple months ago. Looks like the supply is running low!!!

Since the 120 is no longer available, anyone investigated what works on the 3FE? Those two are showing incompatible at AutoZone, but not sure how accurate that is.

Does the 3FE have the same 2 port configuration on the top with a vent on the bottom? You should be able to use the same AC Delco canister Jeff posted above. Same one Frank just bought. The mod I did to mine just allows fumes to flow freely from the tank to the purge port going to the intake. I just no longer have the bearing valve in it that was stuck closed.

I am 99% sure the 3FE only has 2 ports as well. A vapor canister is an extremely simple device so if it has 2 ports and a check valve with a can full of carbon is will fit the bill. I am going to tear into my old one just for fun and set it aside for a future use.

In the event a smog tech won't pass the visual, do not fret, just make an appointment with the BAR ref at Miramar College and let him know you cannot purchase the original anymore. If you are lucky, they will smog your truck there and it will only cost you 9 bucks. That's what it cost me to get my BAR sticker when I did the engine change on my 60. Otherwise he will will tell you what to do or pass you. The prof there is a nice guy, not out to screw anyone, just out to do his job per the rules, no more no less, and he will share his wisdom if he has any to share.

I only bring up the smog tech situation because I recall getting turned away from a Chevron smog test because I has swapped engines in my 60 years prior, even though I had a BAR sticker on my 60 and had passed smog multiple times, only to go down the street and get passed per the prescribed process. Some smog techs just crap their pants if something is different and refuse to apply brain to the problem. Others will make a call to the proper authorities, run the prescribed checks, and if your truck is legit, pass it per the laws guidelines.

Frank

Thanks guys - Looks like the only different is that on the 3FE the ports are vertical as opposed to the FZFE where they're at 90 degrees. Hoping my old hoses can make that little flex. Going to try one out and see.

I think it was either 5/16" or 3/8" line to replace if it doesn't conform appropriately.

A new canister fixed my code 26 (rich) issues.

Now to tinker with the old one...

Frank

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom