Valve stem seal differences - fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.serie4.fr
hello ;)

i noticed a difference on my 2x engines F155,
valve stem seals are difference
one is like this one, metal and rubber
20091023183701-919342.jpg

the other one is rubber.

9091302017.jpg

so wich is the best ? what is the real difference ?
also , my valve spring size is under 51.5 mm unloaded...they are 50 mm...have i to change them really ?

thank you :)

Old thread I know...

But, I have my 1/76 head at the machine shop and they are replacing the (pictured) cup style seals during the rebuild process. Guy says he can't find matching seals, but can get the newer steel tophat style seals readily available of course. Any problem with not having a 'seat' for the bottom of the valve spring? All of my digging leads me to believe everyone is using this new stlye seal without problem. I have not been able to locate a part number or source for the existing seals either.

I thought that the 1/76 was supposed to use the rubber cone style seals originally? Maybe my head has been rebuilt previously by a PO?

What is the collectives opinion, other than what I have already seen, if any?

6288108741.jpg

6288108741.jpg

The two you are picturing are also the ones I am familiar with. But, I do knot know much about the ones on my head currently in respect to years used or availability. Looking for insight

Is there a Toyota part number for those "sombrero" seals, or have they been borrowed from some other vehicle?

Are they a superior design?

Is there a Toyota part number for those "sombrero" seals, or have they been borrowed from some other vehicle?

Are they a superior design?

So, there is probably a part number for the sombrero seals floating around somewhere but I was not able to find it.

My machinist chucked the old seals in the lathe, zipped the "brim" off, reused them as just seats to locate the spring bases around the valve guides. This way we didn't have to wait around on the proper spring seats from Toyota. Worked perfectly, and along with the newer clad Viton stem seals we have a winning combo. Opinions may vary on this approach, but I am happy with the results.

FYI: Fel-pro SS27504 is a drop in replacement for the umbrella seals and are of the new style. My local autozone had in stock and they are inexpensive, im very happy with the performance over the old style seals.

Thanks for the Fel-pro number, but the question still remains: are the sombrero seals an updated Toyota part for the 2F engine and are they in some way superior to the standard seals?

When I looked for replacement OEM seals initially the newer style are all that showed up on the OEM parts fische. Fel-Pro still makes umbrella style seals as well but I have no idea why you would go that route, if you are removing the valve spring anyway, even with the head on, you might as well put the better style seal in.

My mistake, you are referring to the stem seals that have integrated valve spring washer on the bottom correct? The newer style seals are press fit onto the valve guides and use the old style seperated valve spring washer. Perhaps the 2 parts were integrated for ease of manufacturing or lower cost but I cant see how the "sombrero" style are better or worse than the press fit newer style.

Hi, this is my first comment on here. Today I was doing a cave adjacent on my 74 fj40 and noticed the rubber seals were riding with the valve on the stem. I assume they should be in place at the bottom of the stem at the head, correct? I can’t see clearly if there is another form of seal underneath or below the rubber cap, but either way, the cap should stay put at the bottom, right?

Hi, this is my first comment on here. Today I was doing a valve adjustment on my 74 fj40 and noticed the rubber seals were riding with the valve on the stem. I assume they should be in place at the bottom of the stem at the head, correct? I can’t see clearly if there is another form of seal underneath or below the rubber cap, but either way, the cap should stay put at the bottom, right?

That doesn’t seem like an ideal design. Would I do good to update to a newer version? How could that keep oil from running down the stem? Thanks for the response.

You can't change the function. The 74 and early 2F have not enough of a valve guide boss to hold the later seal. However, the later seal ('positive') can be used as a 'deflector'-type, and it is available from Toyota.
I got a set of deflector seals from SOR, and I'm happy.

Hi, this is my first comment on here. Today I was doing a valve adjustment on my 74 fj40 and noticed the rubber seals were riding with the valve on the stem. I assume they should be in place at the bottom of the stem at the head, correct? I can’t see clearly if there is another form of seal underneath or below the rubber cap, but either way, the cap should stay put at the bottom, right?
Welcome
When I replaced them on my 74 I simply pushed them down all the way and then on the first start up they get pushed up to where they’re gonna stay going up and down with the valve.

You can't change the function. The 74 and early 2F have not enough of a valve guide boss to hold the later seal. However, the later seal ('positive') can be used as a 'deflector'-type, and it is available from Toyota.
I got a set of deflector seals from SOR, and I'm happy.
Welcome
When I replaced them on my 74 I simply pushed them down all the way and then on the first start up they get pushed up to where they’re gonna stay going up and down with the valve.
I just had my spare (late 74) head refurbished and it looks like they use the hat with band style on it. There is no rubber cap.
24EDEA05-1313-4F14-AC0E-95582800AC91.jpeg

Dealing with this now...

Here is a good look at what these look like coming off and going on... going from all rubber to the metal versions (albeit they seem to fit on really tight) from SOR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom