Valve lifter question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FishTacos

Full Globetard
Threads
The cam side is all [STRIKE]convex[/STRIKE]:whoops: concave so clearly they need some grinding. The pushrod side is all fawked up on the edge. What gives? What does that?
lifters.jpg

Last edited:
The face of lifter is supposed to have a slightly convex shape, this causes it to rotate in the bore to reduce wear from riding in just one spot. What you see in the picture is part of the original casting that was not machined off during production. It is normal. BTW, it is best to replace the cam and lifters as a set.

I meant concave....brain fart. the cam side is just slightly concave. Almost impossible to perceive unless you run your finger over it.
It really looks to me like the top edge of the lifter is chipped away. I say this because they are all different. the cam I had in there has almost no case hardened metal left on a couple of the lobes. I have a new one on order but I got sticker shock when I looked for lifters on rockauto. 27$ for sealed power lifters?? The OS flat top pistons are less than that.... seems crazy expensive. I cant get away with regrinding them? This engine rebuild could balloon pretty quick.....:doh:

ZDDP.... got it..... gonna run additive or diesel oil on all my changes from here on out. Is that really what (lack of zinc in the oil that is) chipped away at the top edge of the lifters? The lifter valleys looked really nice and smooth. :meh:

I have a new toyota cam on the way. 200$ at cruiserparts which was only about 20$ more than the best price I could find on a Melling MC803 cam. Is it an absolute requirement to install new lifters with a new cam? What is the downside of getting a set of used lifters re-machined to the proper profile? assuming I have/can get some that are close to the top end of the spec range 25.097mm - 25.128mm.

Bring the lifters to your local machine shop, and ask them If there grind-able,

And yes if you are installing a cam, new/ re ground lifters is a must.

Are the valve springs a must as well? I noticed that Man A Fre sells the cam, lifters and valve springs all in one kit. Man-A-Fre RV Cam Kit

Thanks Spike Strip for the northern link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom