Valve Cover Gasket FIPG for portion? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Getting ready to do the Valve cover gasket tomorrow. 97 FZJ80, 1FZ-FE
Just looking at the gasket I do not see the two rounded keyed areas on the front of the engine that on my cruiser look like FIPG as in the picture below.

It seems that this is one of the areas where I am seeping a little oil.. So is this just Toyota FIPG, I am headed to the dealer in the morning to pickup my oil pump gasket as well so should I pickup a tube of FIPG ? :hmm: It seems pretty obious but it does not hurt to ask. :idea:

The two half rounds are separate from the valve cover seal. They are aluminum and will require sealant. Toyota foot is never a requirement as permatex will work fine. To remove these, place a brass or aluminum drift to one end of the top surface the. Tap firmly on the drift until the half round rotates up and out.

If they are not leaking (appears they are not) don't mess with them. Just replace valve cover gasket.
I would use a new razor blade to clean off FIPG where Valve cover seal will sit.
Somebody was sloppy, and it likely wasn't a woman.

Thanks guys... They do look clean because I de-greased everything prior to trying to do the valve cover gasket today and my master plan of doing the crank seal and oil pump + Dizzy O-ring...

With that said I thought while I am at it.. I'll just do the crank seal, oil pump and dizzy this morning and later today do the valve cover.. . So I started on that at 8 AM.. The crank gasket piece of cake, Dizzy.. Well that was simpler than my :banana::banana: skills are used to..

But :mad: for the last 9 hours getting the oil pump screws out for a total of 12 hours of oil grime and filth today. I followed this video to the T I even went out and bought a small electric impact driver :bang:
only 2 of the 7 came out with the impact driver and following the video's techniques! that makes 5 that I had to spend and hour or more each trying to extract with 3 different extractor bits :crybaby::doh::bang::bang::bang:.
I ended up having to drain and take out the radiator.. :mad::bang::ban: I swore in more languages than I can speak.. And 9 hours later I got the last :censor: son of a screw out! :flipoff2: So tomorrow re-assembly and valve cover! :bang:

I guess it could have been worse my local Toyota dealer only had 5 screws in stock and I was able to re-use the only 2 that came out with the impact driver! ;)

I
Somebody was sloppy, and it likely wasn't a woman.

I believe that gray is the factory sealant. I only say this because both of my motors had it before I opened them up. And i'm pretty sure the same thing can be found around the oil pans, but its been awhile since i've been that deep. Either way they come out easy and can just be resealed with some black permatex.

@Manuelsv you can also use a bit of permatex to tack the VC gasket in place before the install. They can drop down, especially in the back while you are trying to seat the cover. This can lead to a bad seal and you will be leaking again in short order. I think the biggest problem with these leaking is the VC bolts don't torque down very tight. I have done 3 in the last two years and all but the very last one is leaking again. Every time I notice it leaking its because several of the bolts loosened up. This last one I actually ran a very thin bead of permatex all the way around the bottom of the seal where it will meet with the head. Hopefully that will keep it sealed longer.

Thanks guys... They do look clean because I de-greased everything prior to trying to do the valve cover gasket today and my master plan of doing the crank seal and oil pump + Dizzy O-ring...

With that said I thought while I am at it.. I'll just do the crank seal, oil pump and dizzy this morning and later today do the valve cover.. . So I started on that at 8 AM.. The crank gasket piece of cake, Dizzy.. Well that was simpler than my :banana::banana: skills are used to..

But :mad: for the last 9 hours getting the oil pump screws out for a total of 12 hours of oil grime and filth today. I followed this video to the T I even went out and bought a small electric impact driver :bang:
only 2 of the 7 came out with the impact driver and following the video's techniques! that makes 5 that I had to spend and hour or more each trying to extract with 3 different extractor bits :crybaby::doh::bang::bang::bang:.
I ended up having to drain and take out the radiator.. :mad::bang::ban: I swore in more languages than I can speak.. And 9 hours later I got the last :censor: son of a screw out! :flipoff2: So tomorrow re-assembly and valve cover! :bang:

I guess it could have been worse my local Toyota dealer only had 5 screws in stock and I was able to re-use the only 2 that came out with the impact driver! ;)

Did you use Heat and PB Blaster? I'd be willing to bet not.....
I had to go at mine about 3X with impact then they broke free. I broke the 1st one after using just impact and tap the bit method.
Rest got heat and PB and were cake.
I did not remove my Radiator but I did remove the fan and shroud and covered radiator with piece of cardboard.
Never hurts to know how to change the belts.

Did you replace Screws with Allen head so easier in future (if ever)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom