Value 1966 fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have seen a 1966 fj40 that's been stored in the back of a shed for approx 15 years. I have no pictures and probably can't very easily get any. It appears to be pretty much original with the exception of a roof rack and several gauges. It is a second owner with 91,000 probably original miles on it. No winch. Straight body with no rust and original beige paint. The owner recently used some fresh gas and started it. One other thing, it doesn't have the original carb or air cleaner and I don't recognize what it is. I didn't see any original tools or manuals.
The owner may sell it but wants to have some idea of it's value. With out detailed pictures I know it's difficult but does anyone have any thoughts?

I sold a very solid, very original 65 a few months ago for $7100,it was running and driving, so 3 to 5 is probably a good range.

You can also probably buy a similar condition later model FJ40 for the same amount, and then you get newer engine, synchronized 4 spd, disc brakes, "better" steering system, upgraded components, birfields, etc. Depends on what you want to do with it. Personally I would offer less for an early model Cruiser in questionable running condition.

I sold a very solid, very original 65 a few months ago for $7100,it was running and driving, so 3 to 5 is probably a good range.

Do you have any pictures of the 65? Was is just like this one "Straight body with no rust and original beige paint". Straight body and rust free with original paint don't come along very often. I paid $10K for my 70 three years ago. Since that time values have gone up. We would all like to buy a original paint rust free FJ40 for $3K running or not. Mid 65 was the start of the hard top that most think of as the look of the FJ40. While a more primitive cruiser a 66 is also easier cheaper to restore on the interior. Running gear also sells for less. People are pulling it off and in some cases giving it away. I did a search of the completed listings on eBay and wasn't anything close to this one. http://www.ebay.com/sch/Cars-Trucks-/6001/i.html?_from=R40&_vxp=mtr&_nkw=FJ40&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc Anyone else have examples of ones like this one that have sold in the last year. There are two values ,what you would pay and what you would sell it for. I know the OP and talked to him about this already. I place the value higher mainly because if I was to buy it I would fix it up and resell it. Wouldn't feel right to me setting the price then selling it for a big profit. On my 70 besides a thread here in on mud I also checked eBay and found a couple of 69s about the same shape that had sold recently for around the same price. Doing my home work I felt the price was fair to both buyer and seller.

Another point on placing a value this is in AZ not Iowa and has been it's whole life. Can't remember if he said it was a second or third owner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom