Upsizing Tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2000 TLC.

This will be my main vehicle used for work commuting as well as light off roading.
I will likely drive it cross country this fall.

If I go to a 285/75/16 will I have to do any recalibration of any electronics or other equipment
to maintain fuel economy, performance, and so forth?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Your speedometer will be off a little, but not enough for most people to bother fixing it. You will likely not maintain fuel economy or performance. Braking and acceleration will get slightly worse. Expensive gearing changes can help a little, but, again, not enough for most people to bother. You'll get used to it and the ride, clearance increase, and looks usually offset the downsides for most. They will be heavier, so better shocks can make a big difference if your current shocks are a little worn out. Enjoy.

Your speedometer will be off a little, but not enough for most people to bother fixing it. You will likely not maintain fuel economy or performance. Braking and acceleration will get slightly worse. Expensive gearing changes can help a little, but, again, not enough for most people to bother. You'll get used to it and the ride, clearance increase, and looks usually offset the downsides for most. They will be heavier, so better shocks can make a big difference if your current shocks are a little worn out. Enjoy.

Thanks for the input.
I am planning on replacing the shocks anyway.
Any suggestions?

As you can tell I am new to the LC.
I just got it last week and I am already completely in love with it and I am just starting on upgrading a few things.

Shock options (and opinions) are many, but folks seem to like the Icons. Pretty spendy, but I haven't heard many negatives about them from people who have actually installed them on their trucks. Another popular shock is the Ironman Foam Cell Pro. I have them and like them a lot. Great ride on the road. Probably better than stock. They don't feel like a stiff offroad shock, but they are flat out amazing on washboards and dirt roads. I don't do anything too crazy with my 100, but they have excelled in everything I've thrown at them. Pretty great shock for the price. I got mine from MetalTech here in Oregon.

Last edited:
Thank you so much.
I am open to other input you might have about upgrading.
I am not offended by unsolicited advice in matters of which I know little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom