Update: Swap Compatibility L, 2L, 3L, 5L? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

With reference to my old post:

Swap Compatibility L, 2L, 3L, 5L?

I have now managed to pull things apart and I am looking at the following:

1. I have a Hiace with an L engine incl transmission and everything else.
2. I bought a used 3L engine from a Toyota Dyna where I only have the engine, fly wheel, clutch and clutch pressure plate. I dont have the transmission and bell housing for that engine.
3. The plan is to fit the 3L engine into my Hiace keeping my L transmission.

Result:

So far I can see that everything fits 1:1, except for the clutch assembly.

Some notes:

The L engine flywheel has 6 mounting bolts whereas the 3L engine flywheel has 8 mounting bolts. The centre hole on both is exactly the same. This requires me to use the 3L flywheel. Unfortunately, the clutch and clutch pressure plate from the L engine is too small for the 3L flywheel why I ALSO have to use those from the 3L engine also. For some reason the outer diameter of both flywheels is the same (diameter where the teeth are located, incl teeth width)!!

Here is the problem:

When i assemble the flywheel, clutch, clutch pressure plate from both engines and put them flat on a table and measure the total height until the clutch pressure plate finger tips, there is a difference of about 4 mm. The 3L engine assembly is 4mm taller. The main reason for this is the heavier 3L flywheel - the 3L flywheel is thicker - however I was hoping that the 3L pressure plate would compensate for that.

Without having much knowledge, I strongly assume that this problem will interfere with the throw out bearing because it is designed to travel/move at a very specific location - and 4mm is simply too much to handle for that system.

Anyone with ideas on how to solve the "problem"?

Lucas

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom