Swap Compatibility L, 2L, 3L, 5L? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I am currently looking at a Hiace from 1984 with an L engine. It is the 2188ccm engine. It is the van where the engine is located under the middle seat.

Is it a simple plug and play procedure to swap the L engine with either a 2L, 3L or 5L? Are the engine mounts the same and will all fit the transmission without adaptor plates etc?

Lucas

The best I can say is "I think so". The engine may have different engine mount brackets like some of the other Toyota diesels . This means you have to add your old ones to the donor engine.
The air intake may face in a different direction, but again you can probably use your old one on the donor engine.
And maybe the outlet for the radiator hose will also point the wrong way.
This is because they were fitted to a wide range of Hiluxes , Landcruisers , Dynas and Hiace over the years.
If any of them are radically different ,it will be the 5L
If you dont get all the answers here try some of the aussie forums where a few of the guys have swapped 3L for 5L , but not many do engine swaps on Hiaces.

A friend of mine had a business where he owned 3-4 Hiaces delivering meat to restuarants , hotels and hospitals ,mainly late 80s models. He had nothing but praise for them after trying the competition. He says they were the best all rounders, particuarly the brakes

The best I can say is "I think so". The engine may have different engine mount brackets like some of the other Toyota diesels . This means you have to add your old ones to the donor engine.
The air intake may face in a different direction, but again you can probably use your old one on the donor engine.
And maybe the outlet for the radiator hose will also point the wrong way.
This is because they were fitted to a wide range of Hiluxes , Landcruisers , Dynas and Hiace over the years.
If any of them are radically different ,it will be the 5L
If you dont get all the answers here try some of the aussie forums where a few of the guys have swapped 3L for 5L , but not many do engine swaps on Hiaces.

A friend of mine had a business where he owned 3-4 Hiaces delivering meat to restuarants , hotels and hospitals ,mainly late 80s models. He had nothing but praise for them after trying the competition. He says they were the best all rounders, particuarly the brakes

Thanks.
I tried to make a search on toyodiy.com to compare the L and 2L mounted in the Hiace. I found that:

1. Engine brackets are the exact same.
2. Bell housing and transmission is NOT the same. This is based solely on part numbers that do not match. However I have no idea if they are the same and for some reason they got different numbers. It worries me a bit.

Lucas

Yes they will have lots of different transmissions and bell housings due to the differences between cab over engine and long nose models and 4wds.
The cab over models have fairly shallow bellhousings to keep the shifter mechanism closer to the driver from memory
But if the L engines are like the their bigger cousins in the B , H ,HZ/D ,it shouldnt make a differerence. Of course you need to be sure.
Did you have a particular engine in mind or one lined up?

If the engine block part numbers are the same between models, that should mean they are drilled the same.
Do you know which gearbox is in the Hiace?

I dont know what kind of transmission is fitted to the van.
The only reason for my thoughts are, that the L might be too weak and I want to put a larger engine into the van. But before buying the van I want to know if I can do it in the future without buying a complete donor vehicle. Thus I dont have a particular engine in mind, besides one from the L family.

On the internet you can read everywhere that the swap from a 2L to a 3L is a plug and play process ... very very easy. But when looking into the part numbers, the block of the 2L and the 3L are not the same!!

Lucas

My daughter just brought a hiace 3lt 5l diesel lwb van but it a 2001 model if you need pics let me know as I need to go under and fix a leaking power steering something.

Last edited:
Being a 2L 2.4L to 2.8L 3L engine of course the block numbers are going to different. Even if it is just machining on the inside being different.

I've got a 2L non-turbo in my 87 pickup and recently I've been toying around the idea of getting rid of it as I have a VW diesel sitting on a stand. I've just curious if there was any value in the 2L with new OEM t/bet pullies and water pump as well as a 1200lb marlin clutch kit still sitting in the boxes. Either that or just sell the whole damn truck since I just look and don't drive it.

Let me know if you need some pictures and measurement of the 2L setup, it's a pretty tiny engine setup without a turbo hanging off the side.

Yes MatS is correct , I didnt think of the machining , bore etc.

I've just curious if there was any value in the 2L.

The 2L doesnt have the problems that the 2LT/E is reputed to have .There is some value but that depends on the klms,compression and any work done.

All depends if the OP is interested in it and where he is located.

All depends if the OP is interested in it and where he is located.

In Australia its worth about $250-$300 add $100 for North America.

I finally bought the Hiace from 1984, but before proceeding I noticed it has a very weird and flat type of oil pan - it almost looks like a square frying pan ... probably because the engine is mounted in a very low position. Can anyone comment on that feature?

Lucas

Its quite normal for the same engine to have different oil pans to suit various applications and still hold the same amount of lubricant.
If you find another engine out of a Hilux ,it should swap over. The oil pick up maybe slightly different also

I have done some research:

The L and 2L engines use the same 7 volt glow plugs and thus probably the same glow plug relay.
The 3L uses 12 volt glow plugs which of course are different and of course must use a different glow plug relay system. That would require some modding ...

Lucas

I fitted pads and shoes on all corners on the daughters Hiace yesterday. Today's job is to try and pull the power steering lines as one's leaking and get it rebuilt at Pirtec Mr T wants $900 for a newby. The hard part is there no room to get my arms into the engine compartment.:bang:

I just bought myself a used 3L engine yesterday. I paid the equivalent of 1300 Euros for it. It has 100000 km on the clock and this engine is extremely rare in Europe. At the sellers place I spent 2 hours trying to copy all measurements from my Hiace bellhousing to the 3L engine block using measurements tools waaay to simple (to see if my bellhousing matches the 3L engine block). Both engines have the same height and length. However the oil pans are not the same. It was a difficult task. But now I am 90% sure that the 3L can replace the L engine 1:1. But I cannot determine if the main shaft splines are of the same type.

Also the L engine uses 6V glow plugs and has thus a 6V glow plug system whereas the 3L has a 12V glow plug system. I dont know at the moment what I need to replace/swap.

20150912_190025_zps7ikgrcek.jpg

Lucas

Hey, I am looking at building a late 80's-90's 4wd Hiace
Does anyone know if the Hilux G52L 4x4 gearbox or similar would fit in the Hiace? Also is the chassis the same as the Hilux?
Cant find any information on Japan Toyota site that states it.
I see that Hiace has a range of 4wd systems, especially the super custom with the 5l engine and there are also a few hiace's that have same configeration.
Knowing that the 5L fits, and that Toyota have alot of there parts that crossover, what mods would I need to do to fit front diff? Would I need to fab mounts or if the chassis is same as hilux, would there be supports (ie: pre existing brackets) to connect.
I'm in Australia so we have alot of Hiluxes and Hiaces, so parts are no problem.
I've frankenstiened pretty much all my cars so I'm no stranger to giving this project a go.
Any information is greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom