Upcoming work on my 98 LC front brakes and valve cover gasket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
Just turned over 200,000 a short while ago and feel like it is hardly broken in. I purchased this 98 in 2013 with just over 120,000.

I have read through some threads (most of them older) and will look through a few more. One of my first questions is OEM pads vs ceramic. Advantages/disadvantages currently?
If a part costs a little more, but gives me better performance and longevity without any additional issues or harm to other parts it will certainly be considered.

If rotors need to be resurfaced this seems straightforward as I have had that done before. If they need replacing, is there anything beyond OEM that is better all around?

Valve cover gasket (which I will likely have done first) in next week or two. Am I to assume that OEM is best? Anything beyond OEM that is better? I personally have not sought out much info on this as I am trusting my long time mechanic to do the work, but I wanted to do a little legwork on my own.

Most of my driving is daily driver on surface streets, some long distances a few times a month , but mostly short distance, sometimes hauling 400 lbs of feed, sometimes bumpy roads, sometimes steep and windy roads.

TO ADMIN---was having a browser issue and may have posted this twice. I can not seem to delete what appears to be second post.
Can you delete?

i would have the rotor thickness checked before cutting as there is a minimum rotor thickness before they are too thin to be services. at that mileage it may be wise to just replace the rotors and service the front wheel bearings at the same time. as for pads, go with whatever you prefer. some like oem, other like ebc and im sure that youll get as many different answers as how many people reply.

for the vcg I would go with beck-arnely off of rock auto, I did for my truck and it also came with the sparkplug tube seals. aftermarket cost about 35 shipped, oe wpuld have been closer to 200. aftermarket is perfectly acceptable for some things that will need to be serviced or replaced

An OEM rotor is about $80 (Item 43512-60171) and pads is $65 04465-60220 , If you can afford, go with OEM rotors and pads. I installed OEM rotors and pads on my cruiser all around and the braking power is amazing and very smooth. Aftermarket rotors will wrap quite faster and definetely not machined as precise as a Japanese toyota product.

I really liked Beck Arnley for vcg. They had holder nubs that made the install easier. Also they were made in Japan. You also do need fipg or you'll be leaking all over again, right on top of your alternator and ac compressor.

Have used Hawk LTS pads on original OEM rotors (turned once) pads lasted about 40,000 miles, 2nd set on now.
Good price, great stopping power and smooth braking, for on and off road.

An OEM rotor is about $80 (Item 43512-60171) and pads is $65 04465-60220 , If you can afford, go with OEM rotors and pads. I installed OEM rotors and pads on my cruiser all around and the braking power is amazing and very smooth. Aftermarket rotors will wrap quite faster and definetely not machined as precise as a Japanese toyota product.
I have always requested OEM for parts on my Landcruiser when available, but I am always looking to see every couple years if there is something better. If I ever decide to outfit as more of an overlander later on, I will see if I can ever get up with Cruiser Outfitters for recommendations. Thanks for your comment!

I usually go OEM but do I research upgrades prior to purchase and then cross my fingers that I do not regret the “upgrade”. For my fronts I installed DBA “Survival Series” Rotors with OEM Caliper’s, OEM Pads and stainless steel brake lines. I liked them so much that 2 years later I did the same for the rear. I now have over 4 years on the fronts and 2 years on the rear and I’m very pleased. Even driving in the winter salt and snow they have held up very well. This upgrade was well worth the investment. - just my humble opinion.

OEM pads and rotors are the way to go.

Felpro Valve Cover gasket and seal tubes has worked very well for me. Install was smooth and the product quality was top notch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom