Unobtainium (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OEM hoses were a pain in the ass to get on if I remember correctly (and they don't use a clamp) - did you match the ID? - not sure how well silicone hoses stretch to go around a fitting

THe OEM hoses used as samples are the correct part numbers if that's what you mean by matching ID.

A key advantage of silicone hoses is that it's easier to get on and off as compared to rubber hoses. The other advantage, which is more commonly known, is its long term durability under extreme temperature conditions.

ID = Inner Diameter in this case, I think. Maybe I'm wrong but I think what Ant was eluding to is whether or not these would be quite as "snug" and difficult to install/uninstall, as compared to factory.

Sign me up for a set of hoses when you get them into production. They look great!

I am continually impressed by your reproduction of unobtainium parts.

Yeah the ID of the hose isn't the same as the OD of the pipe it goes onto so if the silicone doesn't stretch as easily then it may be very difficult to get them on. It is most likely not an issue but it was something that i noticed with the OEM hoses

I too would like a set of the drain hoses. Thanks sir!

Yeah the ID of the hose isn't the same as the OD of the pipe it goes onto so if the silicone doesn't stretch as easily then it may be very difficult to get them on. It is most likely not an issue but it was something that i noticed with the OEM hoses

Gotcha. There should be no issue with that. The ID is precisely identical to OEM and it will stretch out just fine, with the added benefit of slipping on more easily than rubber, which has a tendency to "stick" to the metal.

Traditionally the disadvantage of silicone hoses is cost. If you are familiar with the tuner world, you might be aware that vendors charge over $100 for a couple of formed silicone hoses (like these). The reason has to do with not just the material, but the hand-crafting process involved.

I'll still be pricing the hoses well below OEM at $59 a set, but the reason I mention the above is to let folks know that the value proposition is not in the pricing, but in the edge it has over OEM in making your Cruiser more robust. Toyota would never put this stuff in the car even if the technology existed back then, because it wouldn't make financial sense for them, and they can't run these hoses on a regular production line.

Last edited:
payment sent for fuse block and cover, 4 speed boot cover and cowl drain hoses.
. Guys when paying for things on mud do it as a gift so we all save the paypal fees. Other wise the cost go up and these guys are doing us a favor for putting these parts together.
Shipmag

payment sent for fuse block and cover, 4 speed boot cover and cowl drain hoses.
. Guys when paying for things on mud do it as a gift so we all save the paypal fees. Other wise the cost go up and these guys are doing us a favor for putting these parts together.
Shipmag

no offense but I think that is bad advice. If I'm spending $$ on brand new parts and they get lost in the mail or something funny happens i want my protection from paypal (although I haven't heard the best about their guarantees). If a seller wants people to use paypal and has a problem with the buyer clicking goods/services then they should raise their prices by 3%

rant over

I can't speak for other businesses, but what if I tell you I will match PayPal's protection? I guarantee you will get the goods. If it gets lost I will send it again. If you don't like it you can return it in 14 days.

You might ask what happens if the business doesn't honor its policy. Well, surely words will spread through the bad-sellers forum and the business stands to lose its reputation as well as future business.

Last edited:
I want to say that AntFJ's viewpoint has its merits. Add 3% and problem solved.

However I think to most folks every penny counts. One of the themes I mentioned in the first post of this thread is that I'll work to keep prices reasonable. The direct-sale model contributes to that. I just think you can help by keeping this model as "direct" as possible. (By the way I don't take credit or blame for this model. Michael Dell of Dell computer fame came up with it :))

There are a few items that I probably could've charged a few extra pennies for, but you know what? It won't make me rich and I'd rather have a few more customers.

OK, I'll get off my soapbox now!

I'm okay with using "gift." I generally do it when asked by a seller here because I get good value for what I buy. I haven't had a problem with anything I've bought from vendors/folks selling parts here (of course, there's a 1st time for everything). Shipping/Customs is a pita, but it is what it is.

What about LX seat covering material. Have you managed to locate anywhere in the world to obtain this unobtainium product.

I have tried a few people and companies and no go. Apparently someone here on MUD found a company in China that would do a one off run but would have had to order 1000mtrs.

I really want oem vinyl. Cant find it anywhere and metric tlc isnt answering. This isnt for racer necessarily i think he knows I want oem vinyl but if anyone else knows where i can get it let me know!

It's been so long since the first batch of fuse boxes sold out that I no longer remember who's been waiting for these, so I'll start here. I've got the '72 to '77 fuse box with cover back in stock, as well as a new cover for the '78 model year (with Radio at the bottom). The print on these covers will not fade with age due to a very strong bonding ink we used. In fact it can't be rubbed off even with Acetone (fingernail polish remover)!

You can buy the cover only for $30 + $3 shipping.

You might think I have a big batch of these made based on how long it's taken, but that's not the case. To make a long story short, one of the shops involve with this project has been a pain to deal with, so I try to take the limited production that I can get for now.

@shipmag we just connected a few days ago so one box has got your name on it.

IMG_5706.JPG
IMG_5703.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom