Under Seat Storage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice fab work. Very clean look and good use of space.

wow that is awsome,great work top idea,ive gotta say though i couldnt stand being on a bad dirt road for a cuppla days with all them tools rattlin around,youve got a frigin workshop under them seats!
cheers goldchaser

So do you have a shear & a brake @ your house?

Damn fine fab work & a great idea. Too bad my floors are solid.

I originally thought I would need to line the inside of the boxes with foam to hide the rattle of tools, to my surprise, I don't hear a thing. I could always hear the sockets jingling when they lived in the rear cargo drawer, but not under the seat, even on washboard or gravel roads.

I don't have a shear or a break big enough to bend 11ga, that would be one hell of a break. I just welded all those pieces together. :cheers:

Wow, great idea and good balls for jumping in like that for something so major. Kickass!

That is BAD AZZ. Nice job. How Much?

Incredible. I have to see this rig....

One question; does it raise your seats at all? I know that at least for myself, being 6'2" and bouncing up and down on that springboard of a seat, getting much closer to the roof would not be a good thing. If it does raise the seat height, by how much?

Now I'm going to go out and bang on my smog pump till it works so I can drive over there!!!

That is BAD AZZ. Nice job. How Much?

Thanks. :cheers: These are not for sale, there is probably a good weeks worth of work in them.:doh:

GLTHFJ60 said:
One question; does it raise your seats at all? I know that at least for myself, being 6'2" and bouncing up and down on that springboard of a seat, getting much closer to the roof would not be a good thing. If it does raise the seat height, by how much?

I actually screwed up and the seat front is 1/4" higher than it is supposed to be. Feels like more since I had previously lowered the seats a bit, and now the floor is flat and an inch lower, so there is more legroom.
I was pretty pissed when I realized it was higher, but my leg doesn't cramp up like it used to, and I can get it right the next time.

I noticed that you have custom rockers.... did you make them?

Kevin,

Very cool. Kudos on all the hard/innovative work.
Question: With the boxes is there enough clearance that a VW Westfalia style seat base could be used?

One of the things I really miss from my Westy is spinning the front passenger seat around. Makes the inside like a mini living room.

The right seat pictured spins all the way around to face the back.

Cheers,
Ian

2287237.jpg

pretty much the best fabber ever!!

stop,stop yer makng the rest of us mudders look bad!:D
once again Sweet work mate!:cheers:

Kevin,

Very cool. Kudos on all the hard/innovative work.
Question: With the boxes is there enough clearance that a VW Westfalia style seat base could be used?

One of the things I really miss from my Westy is spinning the front passenger seat around. Makes the inside like a mini living room.

The right seat pictured spins all the way around to face the back.

Cheers,
Ian
Ohhh, what a wonderful line of thought.........
I like it, if the seat even just turned 90* the sleeping platform in the back could be the same height and the bed area would get huge.
Anyway, I doubt those seats would fit on my box. Even as it sits, my seats ended up 1/4" higher than I wanted. With a clutch, seat height and position is critical and there is really not any wiggle room. One of the reasons cruiser seats are so hard to upgrade is that they are very low profile, almost all other seats have much too thick of a base, those westy ones included.
However, if the floor work was done with that in mind, I'll bet they could be accommodated. But that would cut into some storage space......;p
I think that it would be cooler/more effective to have a seat that the back could lift and flip forward, think like a train seat. But I have never seen an automotive appropriate seat that was capable of that motion, and still safe in an accident.
:cheers:

Last edited:
nice skills bro

Ohhh, what a wonderful line of thought.........
<snip> With a clutch, seat height and position is critical and there is really not any wiggle room. One of the reasons cruiser seats are so hard to upgrade is that they are very low profile, almost all other seats have much to thick of a base, those westy ones included.
However, if the floor work was done with that in mind, I'll bet they could be accommodated. But that would cut into some storage space......;p

I'm about 98% sure that the rotating base is separate from the seat and seat rails.
I remember it as being fairly low profile. I'll check it out and get a photo next time I see my buddie's Westy.

Personally I think it would be worth sacrificing some storage space under the passenger seat in order to have it rotate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom