Ultra rare NEW 40yo 8274? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As a few guys here know, I do winch restoration/repair and sell resto winch projects on occasion.

And to be clear, I am not the guy on ebay currently trying to sell the vintage 8274 for an insane price.

Anyway... even with my years of experience I haven't come across this situation before: A contact I have told me his father's 8274, which has been sitting in the box, in the perfect SoCal climate since 1981 and was never installed, needs to go. I would be fully inspecting it for any age related issues, like dry-rot on wires, oil issues, etc, and passing it on to the open market. I'm curious what you guys (esp. ones doing high-end period accurate restorations) think of the value of this kind of super-rare find? The only other one in recent times that I know of was on ebay and apparently sold for $4600 plus $200 in shipping.

I think the person that paid that much is probably doing an unlimited-budget build for a rich guy or wants to get top dollar for his own high-end build, or something along those lines. I think that price is a little extreme but, the guy got it so what do I know? :oops:

What do you think about the value? I personally think its worth more than a new one but how much more is my issue? It is 100% USA made, untouched and sealed since then, with the original booklet, a Warn window sticker that I've never seen before, roller, remote and mounting plate (possibly generic fit). It couldn't get any better as far as condition. I saw no signs of any corrosion at all doing a quick overview... not even a fingerprint. The zinc plating on the brake parts is still shiny as new and the alum is as new. It almost looks fake its so clean. Dust never made it into the box and the paper booklet shows zero signs that humidity ever got to it. (It was stored inside, near Los Angeles the whole time)

Last edited:
What do you think about the value? I personally think its worth more than a new one but how much more is my issue?

A very cool find, no matter what it ends up selling for. Would love to see some photos of it.

I suppose it would be worth the most most as a period accessory to someone doing a restoration of a 1981 (or whatever the date code is on the winch) vehicle; maybe they would be willing to spend more than a new one costs. To me, an 8274 is a functional and useful tool to be used as intended, not a trophy showpiece, so personally I wouldn't pay as much as a new one that comes with a more powerful motor and a contactor. But I (or others like me) am not the market for this rare beauty. If the seller is not in a hurry, put in on ebay with a high reserve or advertise it with a steep price and see what kind of response you get. The bottom line is, there aren't any other examples like this to determine what the true market value is; you'll have to find out.

Last edited:
A very cool find, no matter what it ends up selling for. Would love to see some photos of it.

I suppose it would be worth the most most as period accessory to someone doing a restoration of a 1981 (or whatever the date code is on the winch) vehicle; maybe they would be willing to spend more than a new one costs. To me, an 8274 is a functional and useful tool to be used as intended, not a trophy showpiece, so personally I wouldn't pay as much as a new one that comes with a more powerful motor and a contactor. But I (or others like me) am not the market for this rare beauty. If the seller is not in a hurry, put in on ebay with a high reserve or advertise it with a steep price and see what kind of response you get. The bottom line is, there aren't any other examples like this to determine what the true market value is; you'll have to find out.

I agree with this. My Cruisers and the winches are to be used as intended but this one-of-a-kind 8274 should be on a period correct restoration that may never be truly driven. That's be ok, but it should be on a 40 and not a domestic truck of the same era :lol:

Yeah I wouldnt want it for my own use just because I'd be too scared to get it dirty. Might fit one of those ICONs best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom