Ultimate Expedition car stereo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking for the ultimate Expedition car stereo. Idealy it will have AM/FM, CD player, the ability to control a disc changer. satelite ready. USB port. weather band, CB and shortwave. Back in the 70's jeep made an indash AM/FM CB, the mike connector was in the glove box. I have had several subaru's that all have had weather band.

Anyone have any ideas if something like this is made?​

In general, units that try to 'do it all', do nothing well.

The last (hopefully last) unit I bought for my oz patrol that sees a lot of rough roads/tracks/vibration/dust has ONLY a radio FM/AM and USB/SD/Ipod inputs. No cassette or CD. My whole plan was to ditch the mechanical junk. These days a 16g USB stick and/or an Ipod will hold more music than a whole raft of CD's and take little to no room. No vibration issues or dust issues. Problem solved!

I then have a separate 5W UHF (oz CB) rig for comms with mates that are 'primitive' and then I have a 2m/UHF Ham radio for the more 'sophisticated' mates :) The Ham rig picks up weatherband, though that's somewhat useless in Oz :)

I sometimes take along a shortwave radio (decent Sony unit) to listen to radio oz etc, its performance with a long wire antenna would beat the pants off any 'car stereo receiver'...

ham2.jpg

cheers,
george.

In general, units that try to 'do it all', do nothing well.

The last (hopefully last) unit I bought for my oz patrol that sees a lot of rough roads/tracks/vibration/dust has ONLY a radio FM/AM and USB/SD/Ipod inputs. No cassette or CD. My whole plan was to ditch the mechanical junk. These days a 16g USB stick and/or an Ipod will hold more music than a whole raft of CD's and take little to no room. No vibration issues or dust issues. Problem solved!

I then have a separate 5W UHF (oz CB) rig for comms with mates that are 'primitive' and then I have a 2m/UHF Ham radio for the more 'sophisticated' mates :) The Ham rig picks up weatherband, though that's somewhat useless in Oz :)

I sometimes take along a shortwave radio (decent Sony unit) to listen to radio oz etc, its performance with a long wire antenna would beat the pants off any 'car stereo receiver'...

cheers,
george.

This ^^

There should be a decent headunit with WeatherBand. Marine units will have it but come on, it's just a few more frequencies.

Agree with losing the mechanical parts.

SW would be hard to get. But a solution to all of your other issues is to buy a Cobra 18WX and mount it below any of the newer AM/FM receivers with CD or USB aux input with bluetooth.

On my want list is a GPS that has the backup camera built into it.

Like georege TLC said, you'll never find an all in one that does it all good. Think home stereo. The all in one's make noise, the seperate high end components sound good. There are manufactures that make decks w/o cassetts or CD and only use ipod/usb ports now. You can also get a seperate CB with weather radio built in. The Kenwood VHF radio's have an outboard control face that takes up little room as the main unit mounts elsewhere.

GPS tech advances all the time so I think it best to get a dedicated one of those too. You can also use an ipad for GPS but personaly I think they are too big and delicate for off road use and they don't like heat which is a factor when in the sun on your dash.

You need to be more specific with the term "shortwave". Are you referring to 70cm ham frequencies?

In any case, almost every mobile and HT ham unit I've seen has weather capabilities. Almost every CB has weather capabilities.
There is no combination of ham and CB on the market as the ham requires a license and CBs are limited power output.

I have a Pioneer head unit with BT handsfree and a USB cable run into my center console for an ipod or memory stick. Below that I have my 2M 271A Kenwood ham.
I have a Cobra 75 WX ST CB mounted under the center console, but I try not to use it because CB radio sucks so badly.

This has everything except for the CB and shortwave:

Jensen Heavy Duty with CD

And for those interested:

Jensen Heavy Duty without CD

I'd personally go with the second one, as all my music is digital now-a-days, and a USB thumb drive or my iphone are far better than using CD's...
Interesting, but only a 7 band weather radio. Should be 10 band, but I guess it is better than the 6 that the radio in my tractor has.

I agree on going with USB thumb drives for stored music. I've been using microSD cards in small USB readers. There is even a microSD reader that is not much bigger than a USB A plug. The microSD card goes into the tip that inserts into socket. Combine that with a 64GB card and you have allot of storage in a very small item.

This isn't the only one and I' haven't tried them yet: Amazon.com: elago Mobile Nano II USB 2.0 microSDHC Flash Memory Card Reader (Black): Electronics I mainly use a real small one by Kingston, but you really have to store it in a case as the USB contacts are exposed.

This is what I used for shortwave...
Great receiver..

29475150064-vi.jpg

It's a philips dc777 shortwave am fm cassette player...I run it in conjunction with a hard wired antenna modulator which provides me with an aux input for iPad or iPod...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom