Registry U.S. 70's Registration. (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hopefully a lot of these recently purchased 70 Series will join us at this years Meet & Greet in September. 😊

3492A44A-D100-44CE-9300-B582BB91A12B.jpeg

Year: 1995
Model: KZJ78W
Origin: Shizuoka Prefecture

60072887-A540-4A1E-86C1-F067484C88F6.jpeg

I wonder if anybody here can comment on Toyota's global strategy as to why they 1. only sell the fully loaded LC in the US and 2. why not release the 70 series here. As to why no Prado in the US, it's intuitive as there's the GX which has more consumer psychology appeal (mall and kids).
I don't know during which era the land cruiser gained following in the US, but let's say in the early days of its release in the US, Toyota felt there was no point releasing the different varieties as sedans and hybrid cars makes more volume and cash flow, but surely in the recent decades, they should realized that releasing a lower trim or more than one series, would sell fast too.

Perhaps, by only releasing a fully loaded, high margin version would also make the numbers despite low volume.

Hello,

Just to be clear: as far as I know, Toyota discontinued the Land Cruiser in the US. The Prado is available in the US as the Lexus GX.

On the other hand, the reasons why the 70 Series were not sold in the US have been discussed at length in 'MUD.

Juan

What did you have to do to get it registered? Emissions stuff? I’m considering in bringing a 70 back from New Zealand to Washington DC but the emissions issues worry me.
The way i did it was i went straight to the DMV branch manager and told him about the truck, i told him it was a 1984 Diesel which was excluded from any emissions, which he agreed, we chatted about the "gray market" on which my 70 series lands on and told me that all i needed to to get it inspected by a DMV clerk which i agreed. After it was inspected the clerk signed the paper work went back to the manager and we proceeded with the registration. I got my plates and title within a month.
Now i went to several DMV offices and some are either too lazy to go with the process or are completely clueless on how to do it.. it took me a while but it's very do-able here in California. I don't know anything about the laws in Washington but am sure it can be done.. If i was able to do it here in California which is known to have one of the stricter emission laws in the US am sure you can do it in D.C

CALLING ALL 70 SERIES ……
Come join us at this year’s 70 Series Meet & Greet. 9/16-19. 😊
E6E95342-F4B4-4682-ABF1-984910BFE391.jpeg

Last edited:
The way i did it was i went straight to the DMV branch manager and told him about the truck, i told him it was a 1984 Diesel which was excluded from any emissions, which he agreed, we chatted about the "gray market" on which my 70 series lands on and told me that all i needed to to get it inspected by a DMV clerk which i agreed. After it was inspected the clerk signed the paper work went back to the manager and we proceeded with the registration. I got my plates and title within a month.
Now i went to several DMV offices and some are either too lazy to go with the process or are completely clueless on how to do it.. it took me a while but it's very do-able here in California. I don't know anything about the laws in Washington but am sure it can be done.. If i was able to do it here in California which is known to have one of the stricter emission laws in the US am sure you can do it in D.C
The problem is DC only has one inspection/emissions station so you can’t really shop around to find someone who will work with you. Although I have seen an old 45 driving around with DC plates, so perhaps there is hope.

What did you have to do to get it registered? Emissions stuff? I’m considering in bringing a 70 back from New Zealand to Washington DC but the emissions issues worry me.
From what I know in regards to the vehicles I have imported ('89 BJ74, '92 HZJ75, '78 BJ40) there is no emissions or DOT requirements if the vehicle is 25 years old or older. CA is the only state I know of that makes it more difficult than it should be per federal laws. And like the person above said, even there in CA it is possible with a little bit of leg work and not accepting the "no" from the beaurocrats with no explanation.

Federally it is completely legal to import any vehicle that is older than 25 years old.

From what I know in regards to the vehicles I have imported ('89 BJ74, '92 HZJ75, '78 BJ40) there is no emissions or DOT requirements if the vehicle is 25 years old or older. CA is the only state I know of that makes it more difficult than it should be per federal laws. And like the person above said, even there in CA it is possible with a little bit of leg work and not accepting the "no" from the beaurocrats with no explanation.

Federally it is completely legal to import any vehicle that is older than 25 years old.
Yea federally 25+ can be imported. It’s just a matter of registering it in DC’s lone emissions/inspection site. We shall see.

Much like the homing pigeon, if you own a 70 Series you should consider returning home (in this case Windrock Park in Oliver Springs, TN ) for the 6th Annual 70 Series Meet & Greet) 😁
9/16-19/2021
480EA4D9-54C8-4DFA-BC2F-825985B54793.jpeg

1. Year and model of vehicle: 1992 LJ78
2. IH8Mud Handle: ohheyitsnino
3. Location of vehicle: Fort bragg, NC
4. Country of Origin: Japan
5. Mileage on the truck: 232247 km
6. Future trip across NA and daily driver

purchased it from JDMsportclassic in MI and drove it home. Turned a 12hr drive into 2days with repeated overheating issues
20210911_145337.jpg

Currently handling engine cooling and tossing in my 2in lift from ironman 4x4 Heres my build so far

I realize this has been tried before but with the increasing number of 70 Series in the U.S., I thought I would give it another shot. If you live in the U.S. ( nothing personal Canada ) and own a 70 Series can you post the type and state in which you reside. Feel free to post a photo. Hopefully we can get an accurate count as to how many have been imported.
Thanks.......
Hey,
I have a 70 series Model HZJ73 with the 3.0l Turbo Diesel. I'm a New Yorker.. but just Moved to Williamsburg Virginia..this is my First Toyota. Used to run Jeeps, but had enough of them.
I need some help with part's and maintenance. I can do the work.. but I'm learning the engine the hard way.
Any help is Appreciated.
Thanks,
PeterD

Hey,
I have a 70 series Model HZJ73 with the 3.0l Turbo Diesel. I'm a New Yorker.. but just Moved to Williamsburg Virginia..this is my First Toyota. Used to run Jeeps, but had enough of them.
I need some help with part's and maintenance. I can do the work.. but I'm learning the engine the hard way.
Any help is Appreciated.
Thanks,
PeterD
I don’t profess to be an expert, far from it, but do you have the KZ engine?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom